Why has religion retained its appeal?

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning this thread will get, any further bickering, baiting or posts that break the forum rules the thread will be closed. Accounts will be suspended.

I was fully intending to read your link but when the first line read "Harvard scientists think they've"... I lost all faith in it.

You understand how science works....right?

Posts such as the above make you look intellectually dishonest.

You should try reading, your understanding will increase exponentially.

Anyway, I'll leave you to it.

You understand how science works....right?

Posts such as the above make you look intellectually dishonest.

Anyway, I'll leave you to it.

Clearly, you've presented it as evidential confirmation of something judging by the "you're welcome" line you finished with. Care to divulge what it confirms?

Clearly, you've presented it as evidential confirmation of something judging by the "you're welcome" line you finished with. Care to divulge what it confirms?

PS. If you want to challenge their work, feel free to publish your own paper for peer review.

PS. If you want to challenge their work, feel free to publish your own paper for peer review.

Why resort to repeating yourself. Surely, your counter argument hasn't dried up already?

---------- Post added 02-08-2018 at 17:30 ----------

I suppose there's nothing preventing me from publishing what I think..

On second thoughts, I,ll just leave it to the experts. It's only a matter of time until they'll be in a position to give a definitive answer.

So what is consciousness then? You are telling me you know?

Just saying its baloney and nonsense but you don't really know it yourself. It is as stupid as saying a circle is not round but you are not telling us what shape it is.

---------- Post added 02-08-2018 at 14:50 ----------

Religion will keep its appeal as long as people are longing to become fully conscious again.

Yes people are longing. That is because deep within they feel that where they are now is not their full potential yet. Standard organised religions or any believe system is not going to answer that question for them.

It is also why people are so scared of death and dying. They don't understand that their consciousness is not something physical.

Most religions we know abuse this fear, they will make you worried and guilty of being really free.

What happens when someone becomes really free from this angry worrying encaging mind they thought was who they are? It is a wonderful moment.

Even if if consciousness was a complete mystery to science (which it isn't) there is absolutely nothing wrong with disputing another claim - it's how science works!

To use something similar to your analogy, it's like there was a shape which nobody knew what it was. Scientists would say, how interesting - we don't know what it is, lets research into it. You're saying, nope, it's a triangle, when there is absolutely no evidence it's a triangle at all. It's how religion works too.

And regarding 'out of body' experiences - they're not a mystery to science (it's down to a disruption of the inhibitory circuits in the brain), so I don't know what that is meant to prove?

---------- Post added 02-08-2018 at 17:57 ----------

This is how the discussion flowed. You'll notice that Cyclone chose to re-word my post in which I say nothing can miraculously spring into existence from out of nowhere. The paradox is Cyclone' s making.

Even after you changed the quote, it's still a paradox surely..

The fact of the matter is nobody's certain why we have consciousness or what it is or where it comes from. Nobody knows why there's something instead of nothing. Nobody knows whether the universe has always existed or miraculously spring into existence from out of nowhere or whether there's another, more rational reason that doesn't scramble our brains thinking about which we've yet to discover, or whether our minds are even developed enough to comprehend the true nature of existence.

P.S we're here to debate about something we know very little about , so all beliefs, ideas and theories should be welcomed.

---------- Post added 02-08-2018 at 18:10 ----------

Even if if consciousness was a complete mystery to science (which it isn't) there is absolutely nothing wrong with disputing another claim - it's how science works!

To use something similar to your analogy, it's like there was a shape which nobody knew what it was. Scientists would say, how interesting - we don't know what it is, lets research into it. You're saying, nope, it's a triangle, when there is absolutely no evidence it's a triangle at all. It's how religion works too.

And regarding 'out of body' experiences - they're not a mystery to science (it's down to a disruption of the inhibitory circuits in the brain), so I don't know what that is meant to prove?

---------- Post added 02-08-2018 at 17:57 ----------

Even after you changed the quote, it's still a paradox surely..

you've lost me. What quote did I change? Edited by danot

The fact of the matter is nobody's certain why we have consciousness or what it is or where it comes from. Nobody knows why there's something instead of nothing. Nobody knows whether the universe has always existed or miraculously spring into existence from out of nowhere or whether there's another, more rational reason that doesn't scramble our brains thinking about which we've yet to discover, or whether our minds are even developed enough to comprehend the true nature of existence.

P.S we're here to debate about something we know very little about , so all beliefs, ideas and theories should be welcomed.

---------- Post added 02-08-2018 at 18:10 ----------

you've lost me. What quote did I change?

The one referred to in the post where you say 'its been corrected now - the paradox has gone'.

Maybe you were altering the misquote from Cyclone to go back to what you originally said, but I fail to see why that matters - there is still a paradox surely?

The one referred to in the post where you say 'its been corrected now - the paradox has gone'.

Maybe you were altering the misquote from Cyclone to go back to what you originally said, but I fail to see why that matters - there is still a paradox surely?

No. The "Edit:" is the only alteration,or, addition, if you like, that I made to that post, which is my post incidentally so Cyclones posts haven't been altered.

Anyhow. Could you explain why the paradox still stands please?