Why has religion retained its appeal?

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning this thread will get, any further bickering, baiting or posts that break the forum rules the thread will be closed. Accounts will be suspended.

All you've done is repeat your claim.

Demonstrate why you think that claim is true.

Because anything is possible. The universe having always existed is possible. The universe miraculously spring into existence from out of nowhere is impossible. The spaghetti monster in the sky is possible. The giant tea pot is possible. The all seeing giant pixie fairy is possible. Can I stop now?

Because anything is possible. The universe having always existed is possible. The universe miraculously spring into existence from out of nowhere is impossible. The spaghetti monster in the sky is possible. The giant tea pot is possible. The all seeing giant pixie fairy is possible. Can I stop now?

Demonstrate why you think your claim that "If such things are possible, then anything is possible, which pees all over scientific theories".

Logical reasoning would be a good start in this world of anything is possible.

Let's start with the law of contradiction. Can A be A and not A at the same time?

Edited by SnailyBoy

Demonstrate why you think your claim that "If such things are possible, then anything is possible, which pees all over scientific theories".

Logical reasoning would be a good start in this world of anything is possible.

Let's start with the law of contradiction. Can A be A and not A at the same time?

Sure it can if anything is possible. It's logical reasoning that convinces you and others that a seemingly impossible occurrence, that you can't explain, was responsible for the existence of the universe. Religion should have copyrighted the idea.

Edited by danot

Sure it can if anything is possible.

Now you've made an assertion based on your own (yet to be demonstrated) claim.

So, demonstrate how A can be A and Not A at the same time.

It's logical reasoning that convinces you and others that a seemingly impossible occurrence, that you can't explain, was responsible for the existence of the universe. Religion should have copyrighted the idea.

No, I've not claimed that, I'm happy to say I don't know how the Universe came into existence.

Now you've made an assertion based on your own (yet to be demonstrated) claim.
I've already stated that no one knows.

So, demonstrate how A can be A and Not A at the same time.
I'm not sure if it can to be fair. Seems impossible doesn't it? Wait a minute.....

No, I've not claimed that, I'm happy to say I don't know how the Universe came into existence.
Ditto.

I've already stated that no one knows.

I'm not sure if it can to be fair. Seems impossible doesn't it? Wait a minute.....

Ditto.

Do you actually realise that responses are to your earlier posts and have a connection, or do you just respond to each one individually with whatever pops into your head at the time?

Do you actually realise that responses are to your earlier posts and have a connection, or do you just respond to each one individually with whatever pops into your head at the time?

Yes, I'm aware of the connection. Why? As far as I'm aware my position has remained consistent throughout this thread?

A brain is like a computer. It is not conscious, we have computers trying to pretent as if they are aware. Most people also live at that level and let their computer brain do the talking and calculate decisions.

Your brain doesn't feel love, and it is useless with feelings and emotions. You can try to repress feelings love emotions with your brain. Again another step away from seeing your consciousness. Most people live very unconsciously, unaware of who or what they are.

So get some scientist telling you who and what you are. It is just as sad as getting a priest to do that for you.

A brain is like a computer. It is not conscious, we have computers trying to pretent as if they are aware. Most people also live at that level and let their computer brain do the talking and calculate decisions.

Your brain doesn't feel love, and it is useless with feelings and emotions. You can try to repress feelings love emotions with your brain. Again another step away from seeing your consciousness. Most people live very unconsciously, unaware of who or what they are.

So get some scientist telling you who and what you are. It is just as sad as getting a priest to do that for you.

More unsubstantiated nonsense.

Like I said, you have made up (or read somewhere in some pseudoscience book) a definition of consciousness to suit your own beliefs. That's not how it works.

Edited by Robin-H

More unsubstantiated nonsense.

Like I said, you have made up (or read somewhere in some pseudoscience book) a definition of consciousness to suit your own beliefs. That's not how it works.

Again some silly person who says that's not how it works.

I just told you how it works and you say that is not the way without showing or explaining what way that is.