Why has religion retained its appeal?

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning this thread will get, any further bickering, baiting or posts that break the forum rules the thread will be closed. Accounts will be suspended.

Again some silly person who says that's not how it works.

I just told you how it works and you say that is not the way without showing or explaining what way that is.

And why on earth should I believe you when you have provided absolutely no proof of anything whatsoever. Indeed, a lot of what you've said has not only been unsubstantiated, but actually is demonstrably untrue.

I don't need to show or explain anything (I am not a neuroscientist, however I could provide links to numerous peer reviewed academic papers, for all the good it would do..)- There's this little thing called the burden of proof. That falls on the person making the claim, not the person disputing it.

You have done nothing but spout absolute nonsense.

Do you know how the burden of proof works?

Yes. It is not possible to explain a blind person the existence of light.

I use this example because awareness sees a lot further than your burdened mind. How do you proof freedom to a prisoner? It is not possible unless they break free.

I use this example because awareness sees a lot further than your burdened mind. How do you proof freedom to a prisoner? It is not possible unless they break free.

Again, absolute nonsense.

Of course you can explain the existence of light to a blind person. You can also prove freedom to a prisoner without them themselves being free - you don't have to experience something to know it exists.

If you know how burden of proof works, why were you asking me to say how it really is seeing as I don't believe you?

Ahhh, the old 'you have to believe first'

I've heard that somewhere before.

Again, absolute nonsense.

Of course you can explain the existence of light to a blind person. You can also prove freedom to a prisoner without them themselves being free - you don't have to experience something to know it exists.

If you know how burden of proof works, why were you asking me to say how it really is seeing as I don't believe you?

The blind person will not see the light no matter even when a university professor on light explains it.

An explanation is not the same thing as seeing it. I should have mentioned that more clearly earlier.

---------- Post added 03-08-2018 at 09:00 ----------

Have you ever considered that you might be the silly person Dutch?

I knew from the start that this will all sound extremely silly. To be honest my first satori when some of all this suddenly became clear to me it all looked so silly I couldn't stop laughing. But it was a wonderful experience to see it.

---------- Post added 03-08-2018 at 09:11 ----------

Ahhh, the old 'you have to believe first'

I've heard that somewhere before.

Your consciousness cannot be experienced or seen by believing in it. Matter of fact any form of believe will keep you away from becoming more aware.

That is what you are saying that people believe all the time then get stuck in that, your awareness is not a bible or Koran. Believing means " I don't know therefore I assume it is that way". When fully aware of your consciousness you see and know things your believing mind didn't know exist.

Edited by dutch

Your consciousness cannot be experienced or seen by believing in it. Matter of fact any form of believe will keep you away from becoming more aware.

That is what you are saying that people believe all the time then get stuck in that, your awareness is not a bible or Koran. Believing means " I don't know therefore I assume it is that way". When fully aware of your consciousness you see and know things your believing mind didn't know exist.

You're making assertions without evidence again.

Why should I believe you?

Three or four pages back, I asked the following question..

Because your posting is getting a little ambiguous, could you clearly define for us what you mean by;

-Conscious

-Awareness

-Mind

?

Unless I missed it, you still haven't provided an answer, yet you have continued to talk about the above (excessively). It appears that you are going to great lengths to dance around the subject, can you not just state (briefly and clearly) what you think consciousness, awareness and the mind are?

At the very least, please give your definition of consciousness (as that's the thing you've been talking most about)

Why has religion retained its appeal through the ages and continued to flourish in an age of scientific discovery and cynicism?

Is it an inherent flaw that lies within some of us. a delusional handicap that persuades a believer to disregard anything to the contrary and recognise this as true faith? Is it family pressures. intimidation, brainwashing. a desire for a sense of belonging. or perhaps the scientific theory hasn't provided enough tangible evidence to undermine creationism? Maybe its none of the above?

Any views on this?

because science continues to fail to provide us with any answer to the question "why?"