Why has religion retained its appeal?

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning this thread will get, any further bickering, baiting or posts that break the forum rules the thread will be closed. Accounts will be suspended.

Can we please stop focussing on the exact literary meaning of the word atheism and focus more on where this atheism is rooted?

Did it come through never been in touch with religion not knowing what religion is all about.

Or did it come through fully understanding and seeing what religion is.

The word means an absense of belief in gods or deities - we can’t just stop focusing on what it means because its meaning is entirely the point.

It is entirely seperate from religion, and would exist in a world where the concept of religion never developed. It’s possible that we might never have ascribed a word to it, but that doesn’t change the underlying premise at all.

---------- Post added 08-08-2018 at 10:49 ----------

It has nothing to do with religion.

It's the rejection of a claim that god/gods exist.

That's it

I’d say rejection is the wrong word. It’s an absense of belief, not the rejection of belief.

I’d say rejection is the wrong word. It’s an absense of belief, not the rejection of belief.

I said rejection of the claim.

It boils down to the same thing though, no belief.

---------- Post added 08-08-2018 at 10:55 ----------

Did that rejection come through understanding or ignorance?

It comes from the lack of convincing evidence to support the claim that a god/gods exists.

You could compare it to the lack of convincing evidence that you provide to support your claims.

Edited by SnailyBoy

I said rejection of the claim.

It boils down to the same thing though, no belief.

---------- Post added 08-08-2018 at 10:55 ----------

It comes from the lack of convincing evidence to support the claim that a god/gods exists.

You could compare it to the lack of convincing evidence that you provide to support your claims.

Yes - though athiesm would still exist if there was no claim to reject.

I have a question myself to others here.

Does anyone on this forum fully understand why people stand with leaflets at fargate and peacegarden.

I know why they are there and can explain it but everyone here tells me what I say is upside down so can you please tell me why they are really standing there all the time?

Let me make it clear that I don't represent or support any organised religion myself.

I have a question myself to others here.

Does anyone on this forum fully understand why people stand with leaflets at fargate and peacegarden.

I know why they are there and can explain it but everyone here tells me what I say is upside down so can you please tell me why they are really standing there all the time?

Let me make it clear that I don't represent or support any organised religion myself.

I have a question to you.

Do you have an answer for post #407?

I have an absence of belief in the claims that dutch is making, for much the same reason as I have an absence of belief in gods, lack of evidence.

We've done this before, but IMO absence of belief is semantically the same as disbelief.

To be without god, gods, deities, things supernatural, or in the mind etc. should be seen as the norm.

This is evidenced by the lack of agreement between all the minority groups.

The vast majority of individuals who acquire "beliefs", do so through immersion or persuasion at an early stage in life with repetition and reinforcement through life.

An "atheist" therefore does not have to justify or describe their viewpoint or justify lack of belief.

On the other hand "theists" do have to explain themselves rationally.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

To be without god, gods, deities, things supernatural, or in the mind etc. should be seen as the norm.

This is evidenced by the lack of agreement between all the minority groups.

The vast majority of individuals who acquire "beliefs", do so through immersion or persuasion at an early stage in life with repetition and reinforcement through life.

An "atheist" therefore does not have to justify or describe their viewpoint or justify lack of belief.

On the other hand "theists" do have to explain themselves rationally.

You just described Donald trump position