Why has religion retained its appeal?

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning this thread will get, any further bickering, baiting or posts that break the forum rules the thread will be closed. Accounts will be suspended.

What absolute obvious nonsense! Are you for real??

Things don't exist before they are created, but something obviously can exist before it is discovered.

sure, there's countless things in existence that haven't been discovered yet, but we don't know they exist, and like atheism, knowing/knowledge is ascribed to humans.

Why isn't there an initial cause for the existence of the universe? because it hasn't been discovered yet.

sure, there's countless things in existence that haven't been discovered yet, but we don't know they exist, and like atheism, knowing/knowledge is ascribed to humans.

Why isn't there an initial cause for the existence of the universe? because it hasn't been discovered yet.

That isn't what you said. You said something cannot exist before it is discovered/created.

You didn't say they we can't know that something exists before it is discovered.

Hopefully you can see how your first proposition is nonsensical.

That isn't what you said. You said something cannot exist before it is discovered/created.

You didn't say they we can't know that something exists before it is discovered.

Hopefully you can see how your first proposition is nonsensical.

It is what I said. Read the example I gave.

It's true that things can't exist before they are discovered? Note that you didn't use the word know.

Are you sticking to that claim?

It's true that "something" cannot exist before it is discovered/created. Read my example for more details the something I'm referring to.

It's true that "something" cannot exist before it is discovered/created. Read my example for more details the something I'm referring to.

Firstly, why are you lumping discovered and created together as if they are the same thing. It makes that entire sentence nonsensical. It's like saying 'A great pet is a cat/shark'.

Secondly, in order for something to be discovered, it must already exist. That's what discovered means.

What has this got to do with atheism/religion anyway. You still trying to claim that atheism didn't exist before religion existed?

Edited by Robin-H

Firstly, why are you lumping discovered and created together as if they are the same thing. It makes that entire sentence nonsensical. It's like saying 'A great pet is a cat/shark'.
Because the cause of the universe's existence hasn't been discovered, it's still unknown, but we've created a system of reasoning which enables us to accept there is no cause for its existence.

Secondly, in order for something to be discovered, it must already exist. That's what discovered means.
True. It's discovery would be proof of it's existence.

What has this got to do with atheism/religion anyway. You still trying to claim that atheism didn't exist before religion existed?
It's in relation to your earlier comment about whether I was suggesting that a thing doesn't exist unless there is a name for it. The example I gave on the universe's existence having no cause is a prime example of a thing not existing because it has no name, which I intemperate as a thing we have no awareness of.