Why has religion retained its appeal?

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning this thread will get, any further bickering, baiting or posts that break the forum rules the thread will be closed. Accounts will be suspended.

Faith is about trust and relationship , Faith in God is a two way relationship . Faith in action is alive churches through out Africa, USA, Canada , Europe, China , Philippians and Russia are thriving growing churches because Christ rose from the dead , many church buildings have closed down in the Uk but many have gone into the pubs , community hall, schools and meet in their own homes , standardized church is the building but in actual fact church is the people , not a building .

Religion is the codified set of rules, other beliefs, rituals and leadership that have been created around that initial faith or trust but isn't actual faith in action .

Edited by teeny

Is it religion or faith ?

Because the two are totally different

Religion depends entirely on faith, the two are inseparable.

---------- Post added 26-07-2018 at 10:12 ----------

Faith describes accepting something that isn't supported by evidence. Hence why religion (and belief in deities) depends on faith.

That's not correct as you can go to church and have no faith that makes you religious , you can religiously go to Tesco's no faith relationship required .

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

That's not correct as you can go to church and have no faith that makes you religious , you can religiously go to Tesco's no faith relationship required .

If a religious person lost their faith would they still classify as being religious? I don't think so as belief as to be supported by faith.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

Religiously doing something is not a reference to religion though, which is defined (in this context) as;

religion

rɪˈlɪdʒ(ə)n/Submit

noun

the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

"ideas about the relationship between science and religion"

synonyms: faith, belief, divinity, worship, creed, teaching, doctrine, theology; More

a particular system of faith and worship.

If you no longer have a belief in a diety, you're not religious. Attending church might make you appear to be religious, but it's believing in a deity that actually makes you so.

(Edit - Buddhism makes this awkward by being considered to be a religion, but not having a god involved).

Edited by Cyclone

Why has religion retained its appeal through the ages and continued to flourish in an age of scientific discovery and cynicism?

Is it an inherent flaw that lies within some of us. a delusional handicap that persuades a believer to disregard anything to the contrary and recognise this as true faith? Is it family pressures. intimidation, brainwashing. a desire for a sense of belonging. or perhaps the scientific theory hasn't provided enough tangible evidence to undermine creationism? Maybe its none of the above?

Any views on this?

I think it's a combination of things, including parenting, tradition & culture.

The majority of 'believers' will have been indoctrinated from childhood, the people that have turned to religion later in life 'looking for answers' will be a very small minority.

Christianity in the UK isn't such a big part of our culture (or traditions) any more, for many people. Other religions are still passed down (or forced upon, depending on how you look at it) to younger generations, more than Christianity.

---------- Post added 27-07-2018 at 07:20 ----------

You're wrong. It's because religion provides a framework for an age old human need to make sense of the world around them.

Only in the same way that fortune cookies do.

That's not really the reason why most people believe though, is it? The vast majority of believers are told/conditioned/made to believe from childhood.

Is there something inherent in the human psyche that causes us to invent these things in the first place though?

I think originally, millennia ago, it was indeed the urge to make sense of things like the sun and wind, life and death. Throughout the ages, newer religions were invented as a means of keeping some order and/or control (in my opinion). I think religions are invented these days sometimes out of a niche for cool/cliquey new trends.

But that's dealing with the beginnings of religion, rather than it retaining its appeal

---------- Post added 27-07-2018 at 09:13 ----------

Religiously doing something is not a reference to religion though, which is defined (in this context) as;

If you no longer have a belief in a diety, you're not religious. Attending church might make you appear to be religious, but it's believing in a deity that actually makes you so.

(Edit - Buddhism makes this awkward by being considered to be a religion, but not having a god involved).

That's a bit naughty, for you Cyclone, leaving out the full set of definitions from that page!

---------- Post added 27-07-2018 at 09:26 ----------

I agree. I consider myself a spiritual person, but don't attend church and don't belong to any 'religion' as such.

What do you consider makes you 'spiritual'?

I think originally, millennia ago, it was indeed the urge to make sense of things like the sun and wind, life and death. Throughout the ages, newer religions were invented as a means of keeping some order and/or control (in my opinion). I think religions are invented these days sometimes out of a niche for cool/cliquey new trends.

But that's dealing with the beginnings of religion, rather than it retaining its appeal

---------- Post added 27-07-2018 at 09:13 ----------

That's a bit naughty, for you Cyclone, leaving out the full set of definitions from that page!

---------- Post added 27-07-2018 at 09:26 ----------

What do you consider makes you 'spiritual'?

You've made some good points RootsBooster.

Regarding your question to Anna. I'd say I'm spiritual too. I don't believe in God/s at all, I'd say I'm an agnostic who believes that everything that exists is the product of something far beyond our understand but what this something is anyone's guess. Also, I completely reject the idea of the universe having always existed as this would suggest that science believe that miracles can actually occur, which is unscientific.

Edited by danot