Why has religion retained its appeal?

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning this thread will get, any further bickering, baiting or posts that break the forum rules the thread will be closed. Accounts will be suspended.

You've made some good points RootsBooster.

Regarding your question to Anna. I'd say I'm spiritual too. I don't believe in God/s at all, I'd say I'm an agnostic who believes that everything that exists is the product of something far beyond our understand but what this something is anyone's guess. Also, I completely reject the idea of the universe having always existed as this would suggest that science believe that miracles can actually occur, which is unscientific.

So what, in your opinion, actually classifies/qualifies you as being spiritual?

You've made some good points RootsBooster.

Regarding your question to Anna. I'd say I'm spiritual too. I don't believe in God/s at all, I'd say I'm an agnostic who believes that everything that exists is the product of something far beyond our understand but what this something is anyone's guess. Also, I completely reject the idea of the universe having always existed as this would suggest that science believe that miracles can actually occur, which is unscientific.

I'm curious, why do you believe that, especially considering you don't know what you're believing in?

So what, in your opinion, actually classifies/qualifies you as being spiritual?

I suppose I believe that there is something far greater than myself at work but I've no idea what it is. I don't accept religious explanations as I have no reason to believe miracles actually occur. Hence why I also reject the idea of the universe having always existed.

---------- Post added 27-07-2018 at 18:51 ----------

I'm curious, why do you believe that, especially considering you don't know what you're believing in?

I believe in dark matter too despite having never seen it or being given any details on what it actually is.

I'm assuming you aren't taking about dark matter in this case. Why do believe there's something "greater than you at work"?

Is this a serious question? Everything I look at tells me there's something far greater than me at work. Only human arrogance prevents some of us from realising it.

What mankind has achieved is remarkable to say the least, but in spite of mankind and our remarkable achievements, we're still only an insignificant, microorganism in the grand scheme of things, so let's not place to much emphasis on how sinical we can be about what we don't know. There's someting at work. Surely, thats why there's something instead of nothing.

Is this a serious question? Everything I look at tells me there's something far greater than me at work. Only human arrogance prevents some of us from realising it.

What mankind has achieved is remarkable to say the least, but in spite of mankind and our remarkable achievements, we're still only an insignificant, microorganism in the grand scheme of things, so let's not place to much emphasis on how sinical we can be about what we don't know. There's someting at work. Surely, thats why there's something instead of nothing.

There's the thing, you need to demonstrate there's 'something at work'

How about believing in something only when it can be demonstrated to be true?

There's the thing, you need to demonstrate there's 'something at work'

How about believing in something only when it can be demonstrated to be true?

By scientists you mean? In that case, should we all stop believing in dark matter?

Don't you care if what you believe is true or not?

What Is truth? Any advice on how to differentiate between "truth" ( the actual situation such as the world being round not flat) and a widely accept but flawed scientific theory, of which there's been many?

What Is truth? Any advice on how to differentiate between "truth" ( the actual situation such as the world being round not flat) and a widely accept but flawed scientific theory, of which there's been many?

Well what evidence do you have to demonstrate your belief "that there is something far greater than myself at work but I've no idea what it is".

Edit to add

Also you need to define what you mean by "Something far greater than myself"

Edited by SnailyBoy