Why has religion retained its appeal?

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning this thread will get, any further bickering, baiting or posts that break the forum rules the thread will be closed. Accounts will be suspended.

Well what evidence do you have to demonstrate your belief "that there is something far greater than myself at work but I've no idea what it is".

Edit to add

Also you need to define what you mean by "Something far greater than myself"

I don't need to define anything. I could guess as to what this "something" might be, in a similar fashion to how scientists are guessing about dark matter- which coincidentally, happens to be "something" that they're unable to see, unable to study, unable to describe abd enable to explain the nature of, but what would be the point when you don't believe in anything that can't be scientifically proven?

I don't need to define anything. I could guess as to what this "something" might be, in a similar fashion to how scientists are guessing about dark matter- which coincidentally, happens to be "something" that they're unable to see, unable to study, unable to describe abd enable to explain the nature of, but what would be the point when you don't believe in anything that can't be scientifically proven?

So you have a belief in something that you can't even define, let alone have evidence to support that belief?

So you have a belief in something that you can't even define, let alone have evidence to support that belief?

Yes. I also believe in dark matter. You seem sinical? Does your sinicism stretch as far as my unsubstantiated scientific belief too?

Yes. I also believe in dark matter. You seem sinical? Does your sinicism stretch as far as my unsubstantiated scientific belief too?

I find it difficult to understand how you can have a belief that you can't even define what it is.

As i said earlier, don't you care what you believe is true or not?

PS, it's cynical and cynicism.

I find it difficult to understand how you can have a belief that you can't even define what it is.

As i said earlier, don't you care what you believe is true or not?

PS, it's cynical and cynicism.

Thank you. Back to the question at hand. Are you sinical about my unsubstantiated scientific belief too?

Do you believe dark matter exists? Yes or no please.

You seem obsessed with dark matter, is it a distraction from why you believe something that you can't even define?

Tell you what, add dark matter to the Understanding the Universe thread. It's more suited in there.

You seem obsessed with dark matter, is it a distraction from why you believe something that you can't even define?

Tell you what, add dark matter to the Understanding the Universe thread. It's more suited in there.

It's not a distraction, it's a perfectly reasonable comparison to make seeing as you are questioning why I would believe in something I cannot define nor prove the existence of. Now, as I've said, I believe dark matter exists . Are you prepared to tell me whether you belive it exists?

It's not a distraction, it's a perfectly reasonable comparison to make seeing as you are questioning why I would believe in something I cannot define nor prove the existence of. Now, as I've said, I believe dark matter exists . Are you prepared to tell me whether you belive it exists?

No, it isn't a reasonable comparison.

There's a starting hypothesis for dark matter.

Your belief doesn't have anything remotely close to that, not even a definition.