Living beyond our means, or just poverty?

It may be free in some instances, but not everyone can get a free offer every time.

To clarify, I mean that internet access is available in many places for free in libraries, community centres, cafes, bars, public transport

If a family is really that hard up that they dont have domestic internet then even the school itself will have a duty to offer access when required.

What you've got left after paying for food, rent (or mortgage) and utilities.

£5,000 that's less than £100 per week . How would you live on that?

My Bold

Seems to me that is spending money, i would bet alot of people in work dont get that much spending money.

To clarify, I mean that internet access is available in many places for free in libraries, community centres, cafes, bars, public transport

If a family is really that hard up that they dont have domestic internet then even the school itself will have a duty to offer access when required.

Well yes, I remember poor families getting a free laptop with internet access included, lol

If you've got a disposable income of £5,000 you're not in poverty. You're not living of the hog but certainly not poverty.

"Poverty" in the UK is a political term.

It is defined as having a household income of less than 60% of the UK average (median).

You will see that, by such a definition, it will never be eradicated.

Median in 2017 was £27,300 so 60% Poverty Line was £16,200.

Edited by cgksheff

"Poverty" in the UK is a political term.

It is defined as having a household income of less than 60% of the UK average (median).

The 2011 England riots occurred between 6 and 11 August 2011, when thousands of people rioted in several London boroughs and in cities and towns across England.

6 May 2015 - David Cameron has said he agrees with Sir John Major's assessment that there is still a “pretty substantial underclass” in the UK.

Even the 60%+ want to live in a more equal country, where people are 'happier'.

[/b]

My Bold

Seems to me that is spending money, i would bet alot of people in work dont get that much spending money.

But it's not exactly spending money is it?

It's to cover everything else bar food, rent and utilities; things like transport to and from work, council tax, insurances, tv licence, HP/debt payments, bills eg. telephone, everyday household items like detergents, washing powder, cleaning products, etc and personal hygiene items like toilet rolls, toothpaste, soap, deodorant, out of pocket medical expenses, (dentist, glasses etc) and medical items including prescription charges. Then there's clothes, shoes, underwear, socks, and sundries, and also household linens (towels, sheets etc) And of course savings to cover household repairs and maintainance (including workmen's bills,) savings to replace big items that break down like washing machine, cooker etc, savings for Christmas and birthday presents, expenses for school trips, and the myriad other unexpected expenses that occur all the time.

I haven't even included anything for holidays, hobbies, entertainment, alcohol, subscriptions, etc, as I imagine these will be pretty much unaffordable.

And don't forget this is £100 p.w. per household, not per person.

I've just read the ONS report to find their definition of disposable income. It is not what most people would expect: the ONS definition is that it is your income after tax (except council tax) So from this disposable income ordinary people have to pay mortgage/rent, council tax, utilities bills, food, etc.

I have no mortgage and I know my non-discretionary outgoings are £800 per month (£9600 per year so I know that I couldn't live on the figure that the poorest households have to.