Living beyond our means, or just poverty?

Anna the old age pension in this Country is a national disgrace ,unfortunately those in Government are no longer from the working classes and have no idea how the poorer people have to rob Peter to pay Paul.

I do not include the serial scroungers in this inc those in high places.

I agree.

And with work pensions becoming increasingly under threat / unreliable, I wonder where it's going to end.

I would also add to that, by saying the carer's allowance of approx £60 a week for often very difficult care of a loved one 24/7, is nothing short of an insult.

Especially when you think how much the state charges for often inferior care.

I agree.

And with work pensions becoming increasingly under threat / unreliable, I wonder where it's going to end.

I would also add to that, by saying the carer's allowance of approx £60 a week for often very difficult care of a loved one 24/7, is nothing short of an insult.

Especially when you think how much the state charges for often inferior care.

Don't worry, the government strong-armed every employer in the land into offering pension schemes. The gold plated ones might be dwindling but that's about it.

Don't worry, the government strong-armed every employer in the land into offering pension schemes. The gold plated ones might be dwindling but that's about it.

The work pension for low paid workers and those in the growing 'gig economy' is going to be pretty paltry. I fear for how they will manage.

This article Anna B??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5810455/Number-people-living-poverty-line-UK-maybe-half-thought-official-figures-show.html

The one whose headline states ..."Office for National Statistics report casts doubt on the extent of poverty..."

The one that concludes with the following quote:

Yesterday academic and researcher into the family Patricia Morgan said: ‘A large number of people are working unofficially and are unlikely to declare their incomes. There are many single mothers who are in fact supported by partners, but will be reluctant to discuss it because they wish to keep their benefits.

‘All this is ignored by the poverty lobby. Spreading the idea there are very high levels of poverty is their business.'

Why didn't you set that important detail out in your OP. Would have been pretty helpful to give some context to the thread.

Guest makapaka
You can't imagine living in London?

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/nurse-strike-pay-nhs-crisis-why-i-voted-for-industrail-action-a7736896.html

It's like you don't have to imagine though, and that first hand accounts are available should you spend a few seconds looking for them.

Well not entirely - I said if they didn’t have debt or such like and one of the examples is someone trying to pay off a mortgage on a London property.

Granted, London rents are obscene so I suppose that’s feasible.

Certainly not the norm across the nursing industry though?

Try this.

On the front page it states 'In the financial year ending 2017the average income of the richest fifth of households before taxes and benefits, was £88,000 per year, 12 times greater than that of the poorest fifth, £7,400.'

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances/incomeandwealth

No. That's not what I asked you.

STOP with the cherry picking.

What was the daily mail article you have taken the figures from as stated in your post #45 less than a hour ago?