Living beyond our means, or just poverty?

Put your money where your mouth is and show us how that works then.

Breakfast, dinner and tea for six people for 11 quid. I await your response with interest.

Here's another one:

https://www.themoneyshop.com/blog/420-recipes-to-feed-your-family-for-under-5/

Throw in a loaf of bread, sandwich filling, box of cereal and 4 pints of milk for breakfast and lunch and it can easily be done.

Breakfast, dinner and tea for six people for 11 quid. I await your response with interest.

---------- Post added 02-08-2018 at 08:09 ----------

Oh yes it does - unless you think children coming to school hungry because there's no food in the house and dog tired because they've shared one mattress (and no sheets or blankets) with three siblings is somehow a sign that all is well.

Easily done. I budget about £2.20 a head for four meals a day for Scouts on camp and they eat like horses, and I dont stint on the food. I could easily pluck that down...

About £1.50 for breakfast consisting of rolled oats some raisens and milk with tea and sugar

80p will get you a fairly good loaf that will feed six, add say 20p of margerine and then another £1 of cheese and £1 of lettuce and tomatoes means we are up to about £4.50 spent.

£6.50 for evening meal? Vegetable tangine will come in at way less than a £1 a head, chuck in some bacon perhaps and you are still going to be under the budget. Healthy as anything especially if you add some beans for a decent protein hit and scrap the bacon...

Failing that £3 of bacon, sliced potatoes and a sprinkle of cheese, tomatoes and onion makes a decent panhaggerty.

Might be boring but it's easily possible. If you gave me £15 a day they would eat like kings..

But people have to learn and plan, and be able to buy some stuff in bulk to get the savings needed. That may not be possible sadly for some.

Oh yes it does - unless you think children coming to school hungry because there's no food in the house and dog tired because they've shared one mattress (and no sheets or blankets) with three siblings is somehow a sign that all is well.

Are you naturally pig ignorant? But as you ask, spaghetti on toast for six, circa £1.00, sausage, egg, chips and beans with bread and spread for six can be achieved for circa £4.00, a Shepherds pie, with carrots, onions with a mash top, gravy and peas for six circa £6.00.

The ‘still fresh’ counters are up to 50% off normal price, own brands beans and spaghetti are very cheap, a loaf of bread 50 pence, all veg can be bought loose, do you ever leave your monitor and step into the real world?

Edited by Calahonda

Feeding (healthily) a family of 6 for 11 quid a day/77 quid a week is definitely do-able.

I would question how many examples of such families there are in the country. I would also wonder about personal responsibilities and what life choices have been made to get such a scenario.

Feeding (healthily) a family of 6 for 11 quid a day/77 quid a week is definitely do-able.

I would question how many examples of such families there are in the country. I would also wonder about personal responsibilities and what life choices have been made to get such a scenario.

You don't need to have made many decisions to find yourself in a hole that you aren't equipped to dig yourself out of, and if you can dig yourself out of it, it can in time and through either more bad choices or more bad luck you'll slide back in the hole again.

I know I'm on Sheffield forum and nobody here ever makes mistakes but other people do.

Edited by tinfoilhat

An example of life choices

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-42789610

Today's news.

£11 quid a day to feed six easy and it would be fresh not frozen crap.

really do you really think there are kids going to school hungry and they all share a mattress?? if thats the case and it would be a very very small number then its the parents fault 100%

do you ever go out in the real world??? or is it spent huddled over your monitor spewing your garbage all day long.

£11 quid a day to feed six easy and it would be fresh not frozen crap.

really do you really think there are kids going to school hungry and they all share a mattress?? if thats the case and it would be a very very small number then its the parents fault 100%

do you ever go out in the real world??? or is it spent huddled over your monitor spewing your garbage all day long.

I don't think it; I know it - and it's absolutely not '100% the parents fault'.