Living beyond our means, or just poverty?

In S5, they’re all bloody cockneys.

The London councils can’t afford to pay out £1200 a month rent for an ex-council house so they’re just sending the problem families up the M1 and dumping them up here on our doorstep :|

They also send them to Kent

One of the London Boroughs has bought part of the old MoD barracks in Canterbury and will fill the homes with the homeless on their waiting list.

Canterbury has 2500 on the housing waiting list , lost out to the London borough to buy the site.

Green fields are being built on in Thanet

Have a look at Haine road /westwood cross on google maps.

Those fields are now totally built on, in just 3 years.

Edited by davyboy

It's alarming the number of people who are asset rich but cash poor. They have nice homes filled with the latest gadgets and drive new cars but are maxed out on their credit cards-surely not the position to be in if the worst comes to the worst.

Another problem is that some people cannot tell the difference between Want and Need.

• 5 months later...

So just 14 mps turn up for the UN report into UK povery

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/14-mps-turn-up-to-discuss-un-report-on-14-million-people-living-in-poverty/08/01/?fbclid=IwAR0G9cuBI_5EQNoMGUswDO1q58Xliq_CEya9bAuvlFSKWiCs2CIBC5QwslE

yet when it was the mps expenses rise, it was full to the rafters

parasites

54 minutes ago, melthebell said:

So just 14 mps turn up for the UN report into UK povery

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/14-mps-turn-up-to-discuss-un-report-on-14-million-people-living-in-poverty/08/01/?fbclid=IwAR0G9cuBI_5EQNoMGUswDO1q58Xliq_CEya9bAuvlFSKWiCs2CIBC5QwslE

yet when it was the mps expenses rise, it was full to the rafters

parasites

It's disgraceful. 

I think the blunt truth is that many MPs really don't give a toss. 

I think part of the problem if that journalists don't consider the poor to be newsworthy. Why? I do not know. In the 1980s and 1990s , Panorama and World in Action would occasionally devote programmes to the issue. Because few journalists see it as an issue, they don't use public pressure to hold ministers to account over the issue.

What is considered news is filtered through the prism of the Westminster bubble. Europe, Education, the NHS, parenting and consumer affairs dominate. Because it dominates their lives. As does the South East, because that's where the power is.

The regions, and the lives of the people in the regions is seen as parochial. Poverty to them is not a social and economic problem. It's filed under entertainment or lifestyle, on ITVs Jeremy Kyle.

To go right back to one of the issues that Anna highlighted, that of personal debt: today has seen personal debt rise to an all time high.:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46780279

But I suppose that's what happens when there is an economy built on servicing debt, and one which measures a person's worth by what they've got.

Edited by Mister M

To be fair, it's a snapshot of a whistle stop tour of the UK and the bloke went to known areas of poverty. Im pretty sure each MP - whether they give a toss or not - knows the pockets of poverty in their own constituencies better than this guy did. If he didn't have UN attached to his name would his views have counted anymore than a Panarama episode or something that - even Ross Kemp if you like.  Besides, they picked this week to do it? 

20 hours ago, Mister M said:

To go right back to one of the issues that Anna highlighted, that of personal debt: today has seen personal debt rise to an all time high.:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46780279

From your link:

But the TUC's figures include student loans, while Bank of England figures, excluding student loans, give a debt total of half the TUC's estimate.

The Bank of England says growth in consumer credit has been gradually slowing since the end of 2016.

I've never personally known a single student be worried about their student loan debt, because they're either under the threshold for repaying it, or the amount was so insignificant.

8 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

From your link:

I've never personally known a single student be worried about their student loan debt, because they're either under the threshold for repaying it, or the amount was so insignificant.

I know a lot of students, and they see it as something inevitable.

There isn't a lot of point of them spending time worrying about it, they can't do anything about it.  They simply have to repay it at the designated rate and for the large majority of them it will never finish being repaid, but will simply be a drain on their income until they reach 55 and it's written off.

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

I know a lot of students, and they see it as something inevitable.

There isn't a lot of point of them spending time worrying about it, they can't do anything about it.  They simply have to repay it at the designated rate and for the large majority of them it will never finish being repaid, but will simply be a drain on their income until they reach 55 and it's written off.

I don’t agree with the level of fees - I do think students could do more to reduce their exposure to student loan debt though.

a students expectations in terms of living standards is way above that which someone should expect without requiring a secondary income and certain changes in lifestyle choices.