Living beyond our means, or just poverty?

A car and the internet are now essential requirements for any family. Having both is now a luxury, kids need the internet to do their homework.

I know quite a few people without a car in Sheffield.

---------- Post added 29-07-2018 at 11:13 ----------

They produce many reports - any chance of telling us which one you mean?

Exactly what I was thinking, how can we discuss this without a link to the report?

---------- Post added 29-07-2018 at 11:16 ----------

Is it this report?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances/incomeandwealth/bulletins/householddisposableincomeandinequality/financialyearending2017

"Households have more disposable income than at any time previously. However, compared with their pre-downturn levels the incomes of the poorest households have risen nearly two thousand pounds but the incomes of the richest are only now slightly higher. Overall, income inequality has slowly fallen over the last decade."

---------- Post added 29-07-2018 at 11:18 ----------

For ONS purposes disposable is NOT after mortgage/rent and food.

Disposable income is arguably the most widely used household income measure. Disposable income is the amount of money that households have available for spending and saving after direct taxes (such as Income Tax, National Insurance and Council Tax) have been accounted for. It includes earnings from employment, private pensions and investments as well as cash benefits provided by the state.

£5,000 that's less than £100 per week . How would you live on that?

You wouldn't be living of £100pw. It's what is left after you've taken care of the essentials. What part of a disposable income don't you understand?

Edited by hobinfoot

Yes you would.

Disposable income is arguably the most widely used household income measure. Disposable income is the amount of money that households have available for spending and saving after direct taxes (such as Income Tax, National Insurance and Council Tax) have been accounted for. It includes earnings from employment, private pensions and investments as well as cash benefits provided by the state.

Yes you would.

Anyone on an income of £5000 pa wouldnt be liable for income tax. Their rent and council tax (if they are in an appropriate property) would be pretty much covered by benefits. If there were more than one person in the household, their income would be higher via means tested benefits.

Without a clear picture of income, including these benefits, its impossible to make a judgement. My experience has shown great disparity in living standards due not only to income but also to spending choices.

Guest makapaka
I know a lot of nurses and on average they earn between £25,000-32,000 and to my knowledge non have ever used a food bank.

I can’t imagine why anyone on a nurses wage would need a food bank unless they were in debt or such like.

Only 5 of my 47 years of working gave me a stable income, I got used to putting some money made when the sun shined away for when it rained, and we all know that rain is never that far away, don’t we? I found that as the years progressed that there were more sunny than rainy days, this led to me to having a decent amount in savings.

I use my credit card for most purchases over £10.00, and have DDM set up to settle my monthly card debt, I find it convenient and like the level of consumer protection that a credit card provides. However buying goods that you don’t need and can’t afford on your credit card is the first step towards disaster, use it, don’t let it use you. :thumbsup:

An Office of National Statistics report showed that the top 10% of earners had a disposable income - after taxes and housing costs - of £78,000 last year. These families spent less than £39,000 of that sum.

By contrast,the poorest 10% of households had a disposable income of just £5,000 but spent £13,000 funded by borrowing and debt.

Saving has fallen to the lowest level since records began in 1963.

Peter Andrew of charity step change said 'The reality is too many households simply cannot make ends meet no matter how hard they try.

Not having enough money to make ends meet is not the same as living beyond your means, which implies you have a choice, when too many people do not.'

A typical household's outgoings were £900 higher than their incomings last year,

Are we living in a fool's paradise? Are we heading for yet another financial crisis? Shouldn't something be done?

Anna the old age pension in this Country is a national disgrace ,unfortunately those in Government are no longer from the working classes and have no idea how the poorer people have to rob Peter to pay Paul.

I do not include the serial scroungers in this inc those in high places.

I can’t imagine why anyone on a nurses wage would need a food bank unless they were in debt or such like.

You can't imagine living in London?

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/nurse-strike-pay-nhs-crisis-why-i-voted-for-industrail-action-a7736896.html

It's like you don't have to imagine though, and that first hand accounts are available should you spend a few seconds looking for them.