Games consoles, tearing families apart?

Just seen an article on Look North about this.

Sorry but how on earth can this "tear a family apart"?

If your kids are playing games for hours and hours on end, it's your fault, not the game. You have been a lazy parent and now you're paying for it!

Also, why are video games given such a bad rap? Would you be up in arms about your child reading fiction too much?

I have a 15 year old, a ten year old and an eight year old; we've never really been a games console family up to now really, I've always tried to resist it as I don't really want them to be indoors all the time playing computer games. we've got a Wii U but that is a family orientated console in the living room that doesn't get used much for games, they tend to watch YouTube video's through it.

Nearly all my ten year old's friends have the newest consoles and talk about them etc and I can tell this makes my lad feel a bit left out which has made me feel guilty, so I caved in and bought a PS4 with a few games for him. The six week holidays are upon us and there is only so much going out and doing stuff you can do, inevitably they end up bored in the house so the console is helping out there.

Edited by The Moon

Back in the day i was always playing with my willy

Miner Willy on the ZX spectrum (Manic miner, Jet set willy)

I remember getting bought the James Bond special edition Spectrum.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=zx+spectrum+james+bond&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=OLO7O4yKMT4_PM%253A%252C-9Haz59MotodiM%252C_&usg=__HwIhSvlKCG_-GeegXvJMJP29J7w%3D&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj38sywwMfcAhUK2aQKHbryAFYQ9QEwAXoECAMQBg#imgrc=OLO7O4yKMT4_PM:

A couple of years later I had Megadrives and SNES, then next it was PlayStation and Dreamcast. That's where it stopped for me, I must have just grown out of it because PS2 etc all passed me by.

Back in the day i was always playing with my willy

Miner Willy on the ZX spectrum (Manic miner, Jet set willy)

Is remember Jet set Willy!!

---------- Post added 30-07-2018 at 20:10 ----------

I remember getting bought the James Bond special edition Spectrum.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=zx+spectrum+james+bond&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=OLO7O4yKMT4_PM%253A%252C-9Haz59MotodiM%252C_&usg=__HwIhSvlKCG_-GeegXvJMJP29J7w%3D&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj38sywwMfcAhUK2aQKHbryAFYQ9QEwAXoECAMQBg#imgrc=OLO7O4yKMT4_PM:

A couple of years later I had Megadrives and SNES, then next it was PlayStation and Dreamcast. That's where it stopped for me, I must have just grown out of it because PS2 etc all passed me by.

You don't "grow out of it". Gaming is universal. You might tend to go off it, or not have time for it as you get older.

Also, why are video games given such a bad rap? Would you be up in arms about your child reading fiction too much?

Yeah, the video games industry is often attacked. Games (board and video games) have a lot of positives; and can be a medium to bring families together, promote healthy interaction, stimulate the brain (problem solving etc).

If your kids are playing games for hours and hours on end, it's your fault, not the game. You have been a lazy parent and now you're paying for it!
There’s a few things that are absolute no-no in mass media.

One of them is calling out (an at least sizeable portion of-) your audience to their face ;)

Also, why are video games given such a bad rap?
There’s been enough generations now (I think 3) since video gaming first started as a leisure, to observe that it has always been given a bad rap at some time or other, by (a section of-) the parenting generation of the time, promptly ridden for opportunity by media (stoking the latest outrage) and politicians (who could ever forget Jack Thompson?)

Mostly it’s by people who don’t understand the medium, and are frightened of it. Generation after generation.

I started gaming in the early 80s. And never stopped, though I barely ever have time for it these days. I made sure my kid had as many opportunities to play all sorts of video games spanning the whole industry since Pong, over the years. I’m happy to report that, as a teenager, her gaming tastes are as eclectic as her music tastes...and gaming occupies probably 20% of her free time (a bit more in winter) at the most. She’s more involved in creative writing and collecting readers on Wattpad ;)

Edited by L00b

Just seen an article on Look North about this.

Sorry but how on earth can this "tear a family apart"?

The problem I currently have is that I can get my eldest off his Xbox but then quite often he has nobody to go out and play with, because they're all still on theirs!

I wouldn't say it tears families apart but it can cause friction, especially when there's a lot of peer pressure from other kids

I know people that read, and they don't seem to be addicted, whereas games and screens do seem so.

As a regular user of forums, I am online a lot, but as came to online use as an adult, I do moderate my use. Children that have grown up with games/internet will find it much harder.