The world has gone mad. NHS

This morning my wife asked me to take a cloudy urine sample to the surgery for the nurse to do a dip test.

Nurse does a dip test and if positive for an infection passes the result to a GP who decides on the treatment.

A month ago, so I was told, this simple and quick procedure had changed.

You now phone in 1st thing in the morning for an appointment, the triage nurse will decide if you need to see a GP who will phone you later, discuss the problem and get you to submit a urine sample (or not).

Now to get a through to the surgery in the morning you start phoning at 7.55am redial up to100 or more times, and 20 minutes later to be told (when you do get through ) that all the appointments have gone and try tomorrow.

I was b..y furious especially as I was given a print out on what to do if you think you have a water infection.

Drink lots of fluid.

Take a paracetamol for the pain

You could try cranberry juice.

The following are possible signs of a serious infection: one of which is: symptoms haven't improved after taking antibiotics.

For which you need to see a GP. ???????

The GP was informed by the receptionist of my wife's problem.

4hours later GP phoned told her that a prescription was in the surgery for collection.

Rant over:rant:

This morning my wife asked me to take a cloudy urine sample to the surgery for the nurse to do a dip test.

Nurse does a dip test and if positive for an infection passes the result to a GP who decides on the treatment.

A month ago, so I was told, this simple and quick procedure had changed.

You now phone in 1st thing in the morning for an appointment, the triage nurse will decide if you need to see a GP who will phone you later, discuss the problem and get you to submit a urine sample (or not).

Now to get a through to the surgery in the morning you start phoning at 7.55am redial up to100 or more times, and 20 minutes later to be told (when you do get through ) that all the appointments have gone and try tomorrow.

I was b..y furious especially as I was given a print out on what to do if you think you have a water infection.

Drink lots of fluid.

Take a paracetamol for the pain

You could try cranberry juice.

The following are possible signs of a serious infection: one of which is: symptoms haven't improved after taking antibiotics.

For which you need to see a GP. ???????

The GP was informed by the receptionist of my wife's problem.

4hours later GP phoned told her that a prescription was in the surgery for collection.

Rant over:rant:

If you think that's bad, our local GP has stopped their nurse taking bloods unless the patient is over 65 or mobility impaired. Anyone else from the village has to take trip into town and out the the hospital, 6/7 miles away then wait 2 days for a letter from the GP regarding the results.

Same GP demanded a water sample to test when my partner's blood results showed she was pregnant.

If you think that's bad, our local GP has stopped their nurse taking bloods unless the patient is over 65 or mobility impaired. Anyone else from the village has to take trip into town and out the the hospital, 6/7 miles away then wait 2 days for a letter from the GP regarding the results.

Same GP demanded a water sample to test when my partner's blood results showed she was pregnant.

I once asked about this and blood results don't indicate pregnancy.

I once asked about this and blood results don't indicate pregnancy.

They can pick up hCG earlier in a pregnancy than urine tests can. Blood tests can tell if you are pregnant about six to eight days after you ovulate. Doctors use two types of blood tests to check for pregnancy: Quantitative blood test (or the beta hCG test) measures the exact amount of hCG in your blood.

SOURCE: https://www.womenshealth.gov/pregnancy/you-get-pregnant/knowing-if-you-are-pregnant

Far Lane Surgery are terrible for not doing blood tests in the surgery regardless of age or mobility. My 89-year old Grandad was having to take a taxi over to NGH every time he needed a blood test. I found they were then doing blood tests for children in the surgery and complained. They still try it on every now and again so I ring them and state that he will NOT be travelling to the hospital for the blood test and they magically find him an appointment.

I have massive respect for the NHS but sometime they shoot themselves in the foot by making things that should be so simple, massively complicated!

Just an FYI - if your wife is prone to water infections, I can highly recommend a supplement called Precision D-Mannose which helps to prevent and relieve UTI's. Much better than the Cranberry rubbish.

Just an FYI - if your wife is prone to water infections, I can highly recommend a supplement called Precision D-Mannose which helps to prevent and relieve UTI's. Much better than the Cranberry rubbish.

Another remedy is one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in an inch and a half of water in a glass each morning. Apple cider vinegar can be bought from Holland and Barratt health shop.