Dentists and experiences in the past

trans

I remember my first visit to a dentist was under the NHS at a clinic at Manor Top--early '50s. A woman used a foot pedal driven machine to drill one of my teeth. It was a slow grind and so painful I said to my mum afterwards that I'd never go to a dentist again. I did, because I found one working outside the NHS system.

Btw did you know that in those days they used cocaine as a local anesthetic?

I remember my first visit to a dentist was under the NHS at a clinic at Manor Top--early '50s. A woman used a foot pedal driven machine to drill one of my teeth. It was a slow grind and so painful I said to my mum afterwards that I'd never go to a dentist again. I did, because I found one working outside the NHS system.

Btw did you know that in those days they used cocaine as a local anesthetic?

Almost a duplicate story from me, except I was in Eire at the time.

Yes, a foot pedal drill, and yes, bloody awful to a kid aged 10-ish.

One major difference between our stories was that my dentist was interrupted - phone call or surgery visitor, I can't remember - and wandered off, leaving the drill bit partially inserted.

I can remember walking home later - the middle of any icy winter - and letting the cold get into the tooth.

It was agonising for hours.

Bentall once broke one of my teeth while attempting to extract it Told me to come back in a couple of days when he could fit me in.A pleasant experience him digging the root out[/quote He must have made a fortune out of my treatment.I went age 17 to have a tooth out.He pulled it out and then filled all my teeth and fitted me a denture over the next few weeks.At least it was free to me.

Bentall once broke one of my teeth while attempting to extract it Told me to come back in a couple of days when he could fit me in.A pleasant experience him digging the root out[/quote He must have made a fortune out of my treatment.I went age 17 to have a tooth out.He pulled it out and then filled all my teeth and fitted me a denture over the next few weeks.At least it was free to me.

I have two really awful memories of the dentist.One was at the School dentist at Hatfield House Lane School and the other at a dentist on Attercliffe Common just a few doors past the Pavilion cinema .They both used Cocaine or gas both were very unpleasant .The taste and smell of the mask was horrid.I would be around 5 or 6 about 1955.