Have you heard of these sayings ?

At our house it was "a run roundt' kitchen table and a kick ont' cellar dooer."

That was the same at arhowse.

Another saying our mother use to say if she had been short changed or conned in anyway was that it was a Swizz or a Swizzle.

Anyone remember when a pocket or clasp knife was closed, and it really snapped shut because it had a strong spring, was said to 'talk'.

I think that word must be"Torque" it's an engineering term for how much turning force is needed to open the penknife.

my late brother had a book of Yorkshire Bible Stories, it was all written in broad yorkshire dialect and was hilarious,don't know what happened to it, has anyone else ever seen one?

I've seen Christmas cards depicting Bible stories, not necessarily Christmas related, e,g, Goliath saying "Tha's made me reight mad."

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

my late brother had a book of Yorkshire Bible Stories, it was all written in broad yorkshire dialect and was hilarious,don't know what happened to it, has anyone else ever seen one?

Don't know if this is what your brother had.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yorkshire-Bible-Stories-David-Hallamshire/dp/1873634005

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

"Whats for tea mam" "three runs at cupboard door". still don't know what she meant.

That saying in our house was “ three runs round table and a kick at cellar door!”

My grandchildren think it is hilarious but what did it mean?

---------- Post added 14-08-2018 at 22:44 ----------

I've just thought of something else..

The other day I said to my OH "Its going to rain in a bit".. His reply was "Oh its ok, its just a bit dull over Bills Mothers".. We don't know anyone called bill never mind his mother..

I asked him what he was talking about and he said it was an old saying for when it gets a bit overcast..

Then, yesterday, my mum said the exact same thing.. She said her mum (my nan) used to say it too when ever it was overcast..

Anyone else heard of this saying ??

In our house it was always “ black over Bill’s mother’s “ when it looked like raining.

. . . and nebbing.

old quote i know but I havnt heard this said in a long time my mum used to say "who tha nebbin at?"

Then she added to it saying "err next doer is a reyt nubucanezer" ( I am sure she made this up herself) its meaning was being nosey

I also remember minny moking usually behind someones back (spelt differently in this thread) and was fascinated to learn the origin of this was how the factory girls used to speak to each other in the noise of the factories If memory serves me right this was featured in the film KES