Have you heard of these sayings ?

Any one remember being "THROTTLED". I remember my mother threatening me with this several times but never doing it and I wondered what it was like.

My Father also on occasions threatened to "SWING FOR ME" but he never did that either.....:huh:

yes i well remember that saying

my old mam must have loved me dearly because i remember her often saying to me " one day i swear i will swing for you if you dont behave ":D

I remembered a couple of really old fashioned sayings the other day, both relating to individuals who are not really up to speed. The first was 'He's a reight piecan he is,' presumably 'a right nutter', the 'piecan' bit coming from 'Pecan', the nut.

The other one was to be called a 'Duck Egg', meaning stupid. Anybody old enough to remember these?

Omg, at last someone to verify to my kids that I'm not nuts! My Dad used both expressions, and so do I! In fact I'm proud to say that I use piecan, and duckegg on a regular basis! Love this thread, it's great to hear about the old sayings.

• 3 weeks later...

Remember my Granddad used to say that Grandmother was "maeg-in" in back yard when she was having a gossip ..

Can't spell it, but doe's any one else remember the word ?

Edited by grinder

My Father also on occasions threatened to "SWING FOR ME" but he never did that either.....:huh:
Did you know what he meant?

I was surprised on asking several of the 'younger generation' that they were under the impression that it meant an intention to aim a blow at you! :D Although when I thought about it, we stopped hanging people in the UK many years before any of them were born.

Remember my Granddad used to say that Grandmother was "maeg-in" in back yard when she was having a gossip ..

Can't spell it, but doe's any one else remember the word ?

Oh yes.....I used to do too much maggin when I was supposed to be coming home from school...If I hadn't have done so much maggin I wouldn't have been late so much....

( don't know how to spell it either but I can hear my dad saying it in my head :hihi:)

i remember dad saying your mothers chewing fat again meaning haveing a good gosip

Shunt that be Chowint fat ....:hihi:

A wer a bit thin as a kid, abart five stoo-un wet through, and me grandad used to say he'd seen more fat on a chip..:confused:

Edited by grinder