Have you heard of these sayings ?

If my mother was trying to concentrate on something and I was wittering on about something, she'd always say "Stop mithering me" - mithering with a long "i" sound to rhyme with "eye".

My mother in law had a sister who was really small and very thin - MIL described her as being as broad across the shoulders as a kipper is between its eyebrows.

If my mother was trying to concentrate on something and I was wittering on about something, she'd always say "Stop mithering me" - mithering with a long "i" sound to rhyme with "eye".

Would that be mythering then ?

How about the bow legged one "He couldn't stop a pig in an entry"

Would that be mythering then ?

"

Pronounced as in "mythology"? The wonders of English.

What about "Call that hair? I've seen better hair on fourp'ny bacon"

And to a chatterbox child "Tha's got mo-ore rattle than a can o' mabs"

If you didn't put enough effort into something, my father would say "Give it some elbow grease".

Pronounced as in "mythology"? The wonders of English.

What about "Call that hair? I've seen better hair on fourp'ny bacon"

And to a chatterbox child "Tha's got mo-ore rattle than a can o' mabs"

If you didn't put enough effort into something, my father would say "Give it some elbow grease".

no, Jessity, not like "mythology", it's "my" as in "my property".

"Mye-ther-inn"

Clearly my irony got lost in transit up the M1. Look back a few posts and see what I said originally! I know how to pronounce it; I was pointing out that neither my spelling (mithering) nor Grinder's (mythering) definitely indicate the "right" pronunciation to someone who doesn't know.

Edited by Jessity