Have you heard of these sayings ?

Hi Janber,

Not only was the dreaded lurgy a product of The Goon Show, but also The Najjer Plague.

Rog,

My late father was also a user of the nickname thing and, I'm afraid he passed it on to me. I have names for most people I see on a regular basis, particularly neighbours.

Mike

Eeeeeh! It's reight grand to 'ear all this 'ear Sheffield talk. I 'ampt eard it for years. Ast any 'o thee ever 'eard o' "Knocked thee duck off"? It meant to feel down or depressed. You can imagine the looks I got when I said it down here in Dorset. I used to live off the bottom of The Moor and when the term round the lump was used, it meant the houses. These were built to form a rectangle which made up 6 yards. If you walked all the way around the rectangle of houses you had walked round the lump.

They don't talk proper darn 'ere. I get reight 'omesick for a yorkshire voice at times.

Grannypat

Yeah remember that one an all! :hihi:

Thas niver 'eard o' "knock thy duck off". I can't believe it. Tha can't be proper Sheffilder if thas niver 'eard on it. Wier dus tha cum from then? I were born weein sight o' S & E Co-op Arcade on t' bottom o' Ecclesall Rooad back in nineteen fotty seven. An tha'art reight abart 'em not showin' any affection back then. I think thi thowt it were showin' weakness and times were 'ard back then.

I'm lovin' this thread - is anyone else? Almost as good as being back home.

Grannypat

One saying I recollect but haven't heard in ages is 'mimimoking'. If I tried to impersonate one of my mom's sayings or mannerisms I'd be told in no uncertain terms to 'stop mimimoking'.

Anyone else used that expression?

And 'tranklements' another one. Used by my nan to describe her ornaments or knick knacks.

Great thread - keep em coming.

One saying I recollect but haven't heard in ages is 'mimimoking'. If I tried to impersonate one of my mom's sayings or mannerisms I'd be told in no uncertain terms to 'stop mimimoking'.

And 'tranklements' another one. Used by my nan to describe her ornaments or knick knacks.

No, but tranklements commonly used in our family.

Hi frenchfrie - 'Trankelments' has been mentioned before, I think the other word you said should be 'minimoking' not 'mimimoking', at least thats how I remember it, with the meaning being just as you described. Either way, you would think they derived from the word 'mimicking' would'nt you?

Yes i remember the term mimimoking also lol, i still use a lot of the

old sheffield terms myself and the kids will often say, whats that mean

:)

Hi frenchfrie - 'Trankelments' has been mentioned before, I think the other word you said should be 'minimoking' not 'mimimoking', at least thats how I remember it, with the meaning being just as you described. Either way, you would think they derived from the word 'mimicking' would'nt you?

it was "mimimawking" in our house. and yes we had Trantlements/ trankelments, too, and rammel.