Have you heard of these sayings ?

One saying I recollect but haven't heard in ages is 'mimimoking'. If I tried to impersonate one of my mom's sayings or mannerisms I'd be told in no uncertain terms to 'stop mimimoking'.

Anyone else used that expression?

The expression for that behaviour in our family was "slow timing."

it was "mimimawking" in our house. and yes we had Trantlements/ trankelments, too, and rammel.

Tha can't beat a bit o' rammel at t'back o't drawer. In my grandfather's rammel he always had loads of string which he used to save, he called it " a bit o' band", I niver saw him tie owt up wi it but, he allus saved it.

My mother-in-law who's 87 tells me that she frequently "mimimawks" at t'winda cleeaner throot t'winda cus his deeaf!

Another one which we used to be clipped for as kids was "slurrin yu feet" , "tha'll wear them new shoos awt, pick thi feet up".

One saying I recollect but haven't heard in ages is 'mimimoking'. If I tried to impersonate one of my mom's sayings or mannerisms I'd be told in no uncertain terms to 'stop mimimoking'.

Anyone else used that expression?

The expression for that behaviour in our family was "slow timing."

Hi rogG - that's interesting. Slow timing was and still is something totally different in my family and the wider circles I move in. Slow timing was basically dragging something or some task out as far as you could to put off what you really should or had been asked to do but didn't want to.

Thanks to the other posters too that remember and used mimimoking (or mimimawking - never seen the actual spelling, lol) in the context I'd described as a sort of exaggerated impersonation. Thought it may have been peculiar to our family but seems it is or was a wider Sheffieldism.

Lets keep these words and expressions alive :)

Hi rogG - that's interesting. Slow timing was and still is something totally different in my family and the wider circles I move in. Slow timing was basically dragging something or some task out as far as you could to put off what you really should or had been asked to do but didn't want to.

Thanks to the other posters too that remember and used mimimoking (or mimimawking - never seen the actual spelling, lol) in the context I'd described as a sort of exaggerated impersonation. Thought it may have been peculiar to our family but seems it is or was a wider Sheffieldism.

Lets keep these words and expressions alive :)

Your family's useage seems to make more sense frenchfrie, but mine definitely used it to refer to mimicking, something most kids do to annoy their parents.

Mum: "Nice day outside"

kid: "nice day outside"

Dad. "Aye 'tis innit."

kid: "aye, 'tis innit."

Mum: "stop thee slow timin!"

My mother-in-law who's 87 tells me that she frequently "mimimawks" at t'winda cleeaner throot t'winda cus his deeaf!

That's how I remember it, making signs to some one who can't hear you.

But you could mimmimoke behind a persons back to tell some one else some thing you didn't want them to hear..