Have you heard of these sayings ?

Sheffield is built on severn hills(as is Rome)hence the word lump,

as the housing estate spread allover the hillsides,

the term going to walk around t'lump means to walk up and down the hills on which your estate was built and then came to mean going for a walk t'round area in which you live.

In my dads case down t'pub and back on sundays before his sunday dinner.

Funny how the dog allways got home an hour before he did,

he used to say he's got four legs I've only two so he can walk twice as fast.

I didn't live on an estate and as I remember it my lumps were pretty flat. I think the word lump goes back further than housing estates.

You'd subconsciously absorbed the vibes from this thread, Rivelin6. I keep finding myself saying the old phrases without even realising it. It's only when either a smile of recognition or a look (gone out) of total incomprehension spreads over a face, that I realise what I've said! :D

You'd subconsciously absorbed the vibes from this thread, Rivelin6. I keep finding myself saying the old phrases without even realising it. It's only when either a smile of recognition or a look (gone out) of total incomprehension spreads over a face, that I realise what I've said! :D

Looks like I did.:hihi:

i think the sheffield dialect is brilliant,my hubbys american an is always laffing at some of the things we say,he nearly died the first time a bus driver called him love i could write a book!!!he loves our accent and when i go over to see his family i have to slow my speech down and think what im sayin as they sometimes look at me gone out and havent a clue what im on about lol