Have you heard of these sayings ?

hiya grinder the one's who miss the coyal fires, have a short memory when we had to go down into the cellar about three times a night to fetch a shovel of coal for the fire ,i remember we had extra fire bricks at the back of our fire to save a bit of coal, and remember being sat facing the open fire and being nice and warm and the back away from the fire was freezing, good old days i think not.and on really cold nights having an oven plate ( shelf ) wrapped in a cloth in bed or a fire brick no hot water bottles for us.

Those steps down to the cellar were a challenge in themselves, But toast has never tasted as good as in those days.

Then every body got posh, had the old Yorkshire ranges out,a tiled fire place put in and bought a radiogram..

Happy days

If t'ice afoor christmas il owd a duck therl bi nowt n moor after than sludge an muck,now lets see if that saying is true this winter.

Oooh that'll be an interesting one to watch out for! :) we'll have to see if that one rings true.

(where's Bill Foggitt {RIP} on Calendar, with his forecasts, when you need him?)

When i asked what was for tea ,i was often told 3runs roundt table n a kick at cellar door.or bread n scratch it .another was what you can catch.

In our house, when we asked, it was always "A run round't' table and a kick a't' cellar door!"

Though my mother would also occasionally use "What thar't given!"

hiya don't know if it's been mentioned before but a left handed person was called a dolly posh, kack handed, my mother once told me when she was at shool in the early 1920s left handed children were all told to write with their right hands.

Yup, my pop still uses "Dolly posh" or "Dolly-handed" for left-handed.

If t'ice afoor christmas il owd a duck therl bi nowt n moor after than sludge an muck,now lets see if that saying is true this winter.

My great aunt used to say this and more often than not it came true,she would have been 120 if still alive.

In our house, when we asked, it was always "A run round't' table and a kick a't' cellar door!"

Though my mother would also occasionally use "What thar't given!"

hiya i know it's piddlin but we never used " what thar't given" we would seh wot dat ginn,.... reight. its like trying to teach mother how to suck eggs

When i asked what was for tea ,i was often told 3runs roundt table n a kick at cellar door.or bread n scratch it .another was what you can catch.

hiya do you remember when your mother shouted you for your tea and all the kids around would start shouting your name like , xxxsx that wanted, we had a laugh one time one mother came out calling for her son with these words xxxxxxxx yer wanted yer bread and jams gerrin cowd, nobody could repeat it for laughing.

Edited by willybite