Have you heard of these sayings ?

Do you still hear the term 'fatha'? Like in 'Na then fatha', or 'Hey up fatha'. Colloquial for 'father' I guess.

hiya i remember my fatha always spoke of his fatha as towd man, or arr owd man, or towd fella, never dad, or fatha, but never to his face.

• 2 weeks later...
"Docker". It's a name I seem to have heard when a kid. people used to say they played on the Docker .. , what was it, where was it and is there more than one?

There was still a bit of it behind the houses. until a few years ago anyway although istr that a planning application was put in to build on it. Any idea why it was called t'docker?

There was an explanation in an issue produced by the Heeley History Society but, I've mis-placed my copy. Something in the back of my mind says that it literally meant "to dock" , in this context it referred to the men who worked on the site where the material was produced, if they didn't produce a certain amount then their pay was "docked".

Was this it Duffems? Found this on the site you mention. An interesting site, lots of stories about old Heeley and Sheffield.

The name of the Docker came about because of the way in which the men who worked there were treated by their employers. At the Northcote end of the Docker, before ever the Cutting was made, there used to be a quarry and some of the men working in it were giver. the job of quarrying slates for roofs, these would be the old fashioned stone slates which were used on cottage roofs. Each day they were given a certain stretch of the quarry to work, for which they were given an agreed amount in payment. However when pay day came, if they hadn't completed their stretches, their pay was docked so much was deducted from the agreed amount. The employers were crafty, since it was a difficult lob to get slate of the right size and they always made the stretch to be worked bigger than the men could finish in the time available. In this way they were always able to dock the wages. Eventually the men realised this and always referred to it as "Goin' to work on t'docker."

Howzabowt "Tha never does owt f' nowt unless tha does it f' thisen" Back in the day when I moved down t' Smoke a lass down theer, who knew mi accent, asked us to say "It isn't in the tin". Of course, wi'owt thinkin' I came straight out with "It in't in tin" which they all thought were hilarious. There were an owd Sheffield fella down theer who I used to drink with an' he were tellin' me how, just after the war, a young lady who he brought home to meet his folks used to get reight upset when he took her to the pub, coz 'is mates insisted on referrin' to her as "Ernie's tart". He gently had to explain that it were short for "sweetheart" & not what it meant down south.

Howzabowt "Tha never does owt f' nowt unless tha does it f' thisen" ...
Yes - as my grandad used to say:

"See all, hear all, say nowt

Eat all, sup all, pay nowt

An' if tha does owt for nowt

Allus do it fer thisen".

If someone told my dad a tall story, or made a promise that was unlikely to be filfilled, he would reply "I've heard ducks fart before". I think this might be local to Sheffield, as nobody here in the wilds of North Lincs. knows it..:)

Edited by hillsbro

The name of the Docker came about because of the way in which the men who worked there were treated by their employers. At the Northcote end of the Docker, before ever the Cutting was made, there used to be a quarry and some of the men working in it were giver. the job of quarrying slates for roofs, these would be the old fashioned stone slates which were used on cottage roofs. Each day they were given a certain stretch of the quarry to work, for which they were given an agreed amount in payment. However when pay day came, if they hadn't completed their stretches, their pay was docked so much was deducted from the agreed amount. The employers were crafty, since it was a difficult lob to get slate of the right size and they always made the stretch to be worked bigger than the men could finish in the time available. In this way they were always able to dock the wages. Eventually the men realised this and always referred to it as "Goin' to work on t'docker."

Thanks natjack, that's the quote I meant.

When we were kids we used to slide down t'Docker, it was like a form of "shale", it was best done on a metal tray. I remember the houses being built on it, sometime in the 60's?

Can any of you older posters remember this.."goin for a walk round lump"...i said it the other day and my grandson said "what"!!!!!...:)

Is it just a Sheffield saying?

My Mum and Dad use it all the time for walking round Silkstone Crescent from their house on Silkstone Road.

I used to live in the St Philips road, Hunt street area of Upperthorpe during the mid 1950s; I was about 6 or 7 at the time and can remember my Dad saying I am just going for a walk round lump.

If I was bored he would often say to me why don't you go for a walk round lump or something. I of course realised it meant go for a circular walk around the block of terraced houses; never did ask him why he called it lump!

I was always told to go and play on the M1......