Have you heard of these sayings ?

Can any of you older posters remember this.."goin for a walk round lump"...i said it the other day and my grandson said "what"!!!!!...:)

Is it just a Sheffield saying?

Yes I remember this saying and others that my mum used, one of which was well "Well -I go to the bottom of our stairs" and my grandmother used to say "Who'd like to wash and change me for threppence". There were many others, but the old memory isn't what it was. If I recall I will come back.

Md

Yes I remember this saying and others that my mum used, one of which was well "Well -I go to the bottom of our stairs" and my grandmother used to say "Who'd like to wash and change me for threppence". There were many others, but the old memory isn't what it was. If I recall I will come back.

Md

In our house, way, way back, “ I’ll go to the foot of our stairs! “ was a comment made in disbelief of something as I recall.

Another was said when in desperation of someone ie. “ I ‘ll knock her into the middle of next week!!”

Just wish I could remember them all from my childhood!

Mutton dressed as lamb, Kris.

She said this as well.

The sayings I like most are the nonsense ones.

Mentioned before, "Followed a muck cart thought it was a wedding"

If you ever see a weasel asleep wee in its' eye.

Our cat weed up your entry. Usually after the telling of a long drawn out story

Sounded much better using original words but don't want to sound vulgar.

• 2 years later...
On 08/01/2011 at 15:17, soft ayperth said:
frenchfrie said:
One saying I recollect but haven't heard in ages is 'mimimoking'. If I tried to impersonate one of my mom's sayings or mannerisms I'd be told in no uncertain terms to 'stop mimimoking'.

Anyone else used that expression?

The expression for that behaviour in our family was "slow timing."

We say mimimoking in Chesterfield. My mum used to go mad if she caught us at it.

On 09/01/2011 at 00:02, lyndyloo said:

i wer allas told i'd get gorma ruckles when i sat on the cold backdoor step that was early 50s still dont know what it means.was anyone else goina get brained when they were in trouble

My grandma (Chesterfield born and bred) used to say when the weather was miserable that looking out of the window "was enough to gi' yer' gormaruckles" which I assumed meant make you feel miserable. Unfortunately I can't seem to find anything about it on t'internet.