Have you heard of these sayings ?

My old mum, who is in her 80's, still uses the word "mimimokin'" whenever she thinks that we are sniggering at her, rolling our eyes, taking the mickey, or laughing at her behind her back. She gets really wound up and angry when she thinks we're doing this - which just makes us "mimimoke" her all the more!

When I first moved to live and work in London, more than 40 years ago, the old Sheffield expression I used that always confused and/or amused my new friends and colleagues the most, was when I said I was going to "mash", when I was about to make a cup, or a pot, of tea.  They assumed that I was going to boil a load of tea leaves and water in a saucepan - then mash them with a fork - like making mashed potato!

😁

Edited by FIRETHORN1

Mimimoking was a common family word for us - we are a Swallownest family going back lots of generations and almost all of the sayings on this web site were common to us.  Mimimoking could sometimes get you "a  clip around the ear'ole"

Another word my grandmother used was "Chissiking" when myself and my 2 cousins were talking and giggling as young children - we were born  in the years 1940, 1942 and 1943 - "war babies"

However, none of us have lived in Swallownest  since my parents moved to Handsworth in 1970

left Swallownest in lte 1969 for Driffield in East Yorkshire, but there the common sayings were different. But living in Malaysia since late 2006 I never hear them othr than from family members when they visit a few times a year (in non virus times of course)

Best Wishes from Hot and Sunny Malaysia  -9-56am and already 94 degrees - by late morning it will be 98 - 101 which is usual because we have no seasons, just year pong hot summer - never below 86/87 during the night

as frenchie said, my old mum also used the expression  "slow timing" when she thought that we were taking the mickey - i.e  that we were "minimoking" her. (or is it "mimimoking"...with an "m" as the 3rd letter)? These old words and expressions are brilliant. I am never sure where they originated from, but I hope they never die out. I'm in my 60's now, but whenever I'm speaking to my lovely 8 year old nephew,  I make a deliberate effort to use my old grandparents' and parents' expressions  whenever I can.....just to try to keep these quaint old sayings alive for as long as possible. 

• 4 weeks later...

My mother's reply to "what's for tea?" was one of two, firstly " a run round the kitchen table & a kick at the pantry door", the second more crudely was " <removed> wi sugar on!"

Edited by nikki-red

• 2 months later...

Whenever someone was wearing an item of clothing that didn't fit properly because it was too small or too tight on them,  my dad always used to say that the offending item of clothing looked "like a stocking on a chicken's lip".  This is a very bizarre and nonsensical expression that I've never even once hear used outside of my own immediate family. I've also never met anyone else from Sheffield who has ever heard of this daft description. My dad probably just made it up, eh?  

3 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

If my dear old dad didn’t want to do a particular task he’d always say ‘I can’t, I’ve got a bone in me leg.’ My mother wasn’t averse to using this brilliant excuse either.

Well used term for avoiding work .