Are we poisoning our pets with bad diet?

MAC33

Quote 1149: I would never ever feed my dog any of the processed food, wet or dry. I cook for her every night and she has a mixture of meat and fish. I also refuse to buy any of the highly processed treats such as Rodeos, Schmacko's etc, they are just full of rubbish.

The vet once said to me that manufacturer's of such food and treats make it colourful purely to appeal to us, it adds nothing to the nutritional content of the food, and in fact makes it worse due to all of the additives.

While there is some truth in this, not all of it is correct. There are some very good complete products on the market these days in a variety of formats eg air/freeze dried, cold pressed, extruded, freshly cooked, wet.

Home cooked dog food is a good way of feeding a dog as long as the owner has done the research and gets the proportions/nutrition right. It is particularly important to supplement with calcium because it is unlikely that a dog will get sufficient from the diet unless given bone. Pure Pet Food sell Vegi Mix which can make home cooking for the dog easier. Just add protein of choice. It has added minerals.

There are some companies who are starting up in selling fresh cooked dog food, Butternut Box being one. They are very good products but are expensive at the moment. This method of feeding dogs seems to be catching on and it could become quite trendy, as is the case at the moment with raw food. If it does, hopefully it might bring prices down.

The website All About Dog Food is a useful starting point for anyone who is looking to improve their dog’s diet.

Edited by ccit

Ok I'll bite.... what's wrong with fluoridated water?

It's a naturally occurring mineral and some areas of the UK have the same levels of fluoride in their water naturally as is added in the supplemented areas?

Also I totally agree with ccit, there are loads of options for ready made pet foods that are perfectly healthy.

I feed my dog ready made raw at home and cooked pouches when away with her. My cats get a high-end kibble and wet pouches. They're all healthy and happy.

My last cat ate bog standard kibble and had a healthy life of over 20 years.

Edited by vwkittie

• 2 months later...