Arrested for accepting drink on flight to Dubai

This does have a sort of happy ending in that the poor woman isn't looking at spending a year in a Dubai prison, but she's had to fork out thousands of pounds and her and her daughter were held in a cell for three days without food, water or a toilet.

The state owned airline offered her a complimentary glass of wine whilst on the flight to Dubai...then arrested her at the airport for drinking alcohol.

You couldn't make it up.

Just make sure that you know, and follow, the laws of any country that you choose to visit.

Expired visa?

Filming an officer inside an airport?

Half-wit.

I think the point they are trying to make is that the laws are not clear and so it’s easy to fall foul of unknown laws.

If I had to travel to a country I'd make dam sure I knew as many laws as possible.

---------- Post added 11-08-2018 at 20:22 ----------

Easy for half-wits.

Nothing unclear about her expired visa.

I read nothing about an expired visa in the guardian article, or the other things you mentioned. Is it in another newspaper?

I believe it was an Emirates flight. I can't understand it, I've been on this flight to Dubai a few times and always been offered an alcoholic drink or two, (which I've happily accepted,) and never had any trouble at all.

So what's going on?

If I had to travel to a country I'd make dam sure I knew as many laws as possible.

---------- Post added 11-08-2018 at 20:22 ----------

I read nothing about an expired visa in the guardian article, or the other things you mentioned. Is it in another newspaper?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/10/woman-held-in-dubai-with-daughter-for-drinking-glass-of-wine-on-flight

"...She was taken into custody after an immigration official questioned her about her visa and asked if she had consumed alcohol..."

"....After landing, she was questioned by an immigration official, who said her visa was invalid and she must return to London immediately, the group said..."

I too think there is a lot more to this story than is being said.

Its certainly not as black and white as being "arrested for having a drink" #

Its claimed that they were initially denied food but further in the article it says that "...The food [we were given] smelled like rotting garbage and neither Bibi or I could face trying it..."

Its claimed that they initially had no toilet access and her daughter had to use the floor of the cell but further in the article it states that "...she was told to clean toilets and floors..."

Something does not add up.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6987841/brit-mum-jailed-in-dubai-after-one-glass-of-wine-was-abusive-and-broke-law-by-filming-airport-officials/

DUBAI officials claim a Brit mum who was thrown in jail for drinking a glass of wine on an Emirates flight from London was "abusive" and "illegally filmed" airport staff.

I've also seen it on the BBC news app, but can't find it on the website now.

But why offer complimentary wine if your destination country and owner of the airline deems it illegal?

If Dubai are so precious about alcohol laws why aren't they punishing the state owned airline....seems like a scam to me.