Aunt Sally's-How not to Manage a Family Pub

lw1cm

I'd be quite offended if they forced me to do that.

If an offer says in the headline "Two for the price of one" and you order 2 sets of 2 matching meals, then i'd fully expect one of each set to be free.

Why not report them to the ASA as well, modifying the t&c's of offers in the small print to such an extent that they are no longer the same offer isn't allowed.

But I did ask him about the meals and if he had been a nice person he would have been honest with me at the start and not answered me in the way he did. From his answer I understood that we would get them paired up. I am not stupid I understand how 2-1's work that is why I asked him about the offers. Anyway as I said I would have taken it on the chin as a mistake had he not been such a smug, arrogant, manager, who could not contain his joy at charging me more. Also I did say that I found all the other staff there to be lovely and friendly. I think that man is always having a bad day and should not be working with the public.

in what way is 'get the cheapest meal free' the same offer as 'buy 2 for the price of 1'?

Because you ARE buying two meals for the price of one - the price of the more expensive one. Equally however if you bought two meals of the same price, you would receive a meal of the same price free, it all depends on weighing up what you're wanting to eat and how much of a saving you want to make.

This is so straightforward, it's ridiculous. The only thing that seems at all wrong here is the guy's customer service, which does sound a tad lousy - he could have made an exception here as there was clearly a misunderstanding from his own information. But surely there can be no more misunderstanding here about the concept of this standard offer?

Because you ARE buying two meals for the price of one - the price of the more expensive one. Equally however if you bought two meals of the same price, you would receive a meal of the same price free, it all depends on weighing up what you're wanting to eat and how much of a saving you want to make.

This is so straightforward, it's ridiculous. The only thing that seems at all wrong here is the guy's customer service, which does sound a tad lousy - he could have made an exception here as there was clearly a misunderstanding from his own information. But surely there can be no more misunderstanding here about the concept of this standard offer?

If I order 2 meals at a high price and 2 meals at a low price i'd expect to receive one free high price meal (ie 2 for the price of one on that specific meal) and one free low price meal (same again, 2 for the price of one).

I wouldn't expect to get the two cheapest meals free, as that isn't 2 for 1.

Clearly any fool can see that you could make two seperate orders and receive the discount that way, so why if you are the manager would you act like and arse and try to screw the customer over?

i think this is all getting a bit tense, so i am going to try and tease some understanding out of our confused friends.

if the guy had ordered two meals, the offer would have by default been on the least expensive of the two. that may not be clear to everyone here, but then, i suspect, neither is the difference between left and right.

now had the guy ordered the two more expensive meals first, i dare say one of those wouldve been free. A minute later he could've then ordered the two cheaper ones, and we would all have been happy. But that is a little awkward, so instead he opted to do what most of us would: he ordered four meals at once. he then got the two cheapest free. it may not be 'right on' or nice but its a business, and that how it works in the 'real world' im afraid.

the offer '2 for 1' may not, as a necassary condition, imply 'the same meal for free' - had he ordered one expensive, and one cheap meal, by this definition he would've paid full price for both...do you see?

just dont visit the place again. happy days will ensue forthwith:)

poor customer service - perhaps.

naiive customer - perhaps.

somewhat tired thread - definately:)

customer service can often be better in lots of places, the simple answer is to vote with your feet, if enough do that, they either address it or lose custom:thumbsup:

Archived