Are all cultures intelligently equal.

no all cultures are different, if your culture says shag a virgin to cure aids, that cultures not very inelligent (medically).

No, it just demonstrates the value of education. Those same cultures are quite capable of grasping a medical concept that doesn't involve virgins once you get the local customs out of the way.

Ignorance is very different to lack of intelligence. :)

Originally Posted by Bago

Is the West more intelligent, and more advanced when we have increased global warming by many times. Or that we have increased population growth without a natural way which decreases death rates too ? Are we more intelligent now that we have all these kind of technologies around us, but not every single person can and do make time to make use of it all to make our lives supposedly much easier ? Are we more intelligent when we eat bad processed food, and neglect our health ?

That is exactly the point. Who made the western world boss on deciding who has more intelligence anyway??

Surely the fact that those technologies were developed is in itself overwhelming evidence that the cultures which develop technology are more gifted between the ears than the cultures that rely on mud huts and bananas.

Originally Posted by Bago

Is the West more intelligent, and more advanced when we have increased global warming by many times. Or that we have increased population growth without a natural way which decreases death rates too ? Are we more intelligent now that we have all these kind of technologies around us, but not every single person can and do make time to make use of it all to make our lives supposedly much easier ? Are we more intelligent when we eat bad processed food, and neglect our health ?

Surely the fact that those technologies were developed is in itself overwhelming evidence that the cultures which develop technology are more gifted between the ears than the cultures that rely on mud huts and bananas.

You're dead gifted between the ears you are, It's not often you hear a mud hut and bananas type admit the backwardness of their own way of thinking. Do you really associate yourself with great inventors etc. just because they've got the same colour skin as you? I've heard of hangers on, but that really takes the biscuit.

on the contrary, it just demonstrates that we apply our intelligence differently, or indeed that we had the good luck to stumble across industrialisation first.

on the contrary, it just demonstrates that we apply our intelligence differently, or indeed that we had the good luck to stumble across industrialisation first.

How can a race have the 'good old luck' to stumble across industrialisation?

I assume they just happen to trip over a blast furnace on their way to pick some roots from the forest, and the next thing you know, they’ve colonised the moon.

Most of the primates have opposing thumbs, but the chimpanzees are the only ones to make good use of tools and apply complex trap strategies when hunting. Is this because they tripped over those tools and found them, or stumbled upon a guide book to team hunting strategy under a bush? Or is it that their elevated intelligence compared to the other primates has allowed them to develop more complex skills?

I am sure that different people do apply their ‘intelligence’ differently. In some cases, that means developing complex social organisations, cities, technologies, medicines, art and a constant desire to explore, improve and understand the world around them. Industrialisation is just a late step of progression which started many thousands of years ago when the more mentally alert and capable races started to explore and develop, driven by curiosity and need.

In other cases, applying intelligence clearly means being satisfied for tens of thousands of years with the most fundamentally basic tribal ‘society’, zero technological advancement for hundreds of generations, no written language, no art that couldn’t be replicated by a 6-year old European, and hand skills and crafts limited to the skill levels of a European child. Yes, I’d have to agree that’s a different way to apply their ‘intelligence’.

I would welcome any poster who has spent time in Africa to debate this. Those who have not are simply not qualified to comment.

Political correctness is a very, very dangerous thing. It blinds people.

How can a race have the 'good old luck' to stumble across industrialisation?

I assume they just happen to trip over a blast furnace on their way to pick some roots from the forest, and the next thing you know, they’ve colonised the moon.

Most of the primates have opposing thumbs, but the chimpanzees are the only ones to make good use of tools and apply complex trap strategies when hunting. Is this because they tripped over those tools and found them, or stumbled upon a guide book to team hunting strategy under a bush? Or is it that their elevated intelligence compared to the other primates has allowed them to develop more complex skills?

I am sure that different people do apply their ‘intelligence’ differently. In some cases, that means developing complex social organisations, cities, technologies, medicines, art and a constant desire to explore, improve and understand the world around them. Industrialisation is just a late step of progression which started many thousands of years ago when the more mentally alert and capable races started to explore and develop, driven by curiosity and need.

In other cases, applying intelligence clearly means being satisfied for tens of thousands of years with the most fundamentally basic tribal ‘society’, zero technological advancement for hundreds of generations, no written language, no art that couldn’t be replicated by a 6-year old European, and hand skills and crafts limited to the skill levels of a European child. Yes, I’d have to agree that’s a different way to apply their ‘intelligence’.

I would welcome any poster who has spent time in Africa to debate this. Those who have not are simply not qualified to comment.

Political correctness is a very, very dangerous thing. It blinds people.

Materialism does not equal intelligence either.

Materialism does not equal intelligence either.

Who said it does? Materialism is the belief that having money and possessions is the most important thing in life.

I fail to see the connection between this and the desire to improve ourselves, develop medicine and technology, and explore the world around us.

Are all cultures equally intelligent ? on a whole, of course not!

:hihi::hihi: So which cultures (in your opinion) are more intelligent? :)

[:hihi: I love a good troll now & then :)]

Personally, I would not answer this Q until the OP defines "intelligence"...

Here are some Dictionary definitions :thumbsup:

in·tel·li·gence ("n-tl-jns")

n.

1. The capacity to acquire and apply knowledge.

2. The faculty of thought and reason.

3. Superior powers of mind. See Synonyms at mind.

2. An intelligent, incorporeal being, especially an angel.

3. Information; news. See Synonyms at news.

1. Secret information, especially about an actual or potential enemy.

2. An agency, staff, or office employed in gathering such information.

3. Espionage agents, organizations, and activities considered as a group: “Intelligence is nothing if not an institutionalized black market in perishable commodities” (John le Carré).

Archived