Are all cultures intelligently equal.

Intelligence generally isn't developed as a whole, for instance a top class footballer may have very good visualisation and spatial skills but be poor with words and numbers. So, it's not a discrete concept at any rate and shouldn't really be viewed as such.
thats not always true. a study a few years ago in footballers showed they tended to be very good at certain aspects of mathemaics.

sorry to nitpick!

i think that we also need to determine if intelligence is the ability to adapt and survive within their environment. which would make some of the most academically backward societies the most intelligent.

for instance the average aborigine wouldn't be able to tell you a whole lot about science but the average scientist wouldn't last more than a few days in the outback

Title says it all.

Personally, i think that it is impossible to quantify intelligence related to culture, when there is nowhere near a level playing field, from which to start to measure it.

what is more interesting to me eagle eyes, is the reason behind the question in the first place? :)

I thought that we'd establish that the reason for the question was some sort of essay homework set in a sociology class or something like that.

knowledge is just about the worst measure of intelligence you could choose those, so knowing something or nothing about science is completely irrelevant to intelligence.

i think that we also need to determine if intelligence is the ability to adapt and survive within their environment. which would make some of the most academically backward societies the most intelligent.

for instance the average aborigine wouldn't be able to tell you a whole lot about science but the average scientist wouldn't last more than a few days in the outback

That's down to acquired knowledge, not intelligence.

The scientist could soon learn which root bulbs give water, and how to trap a lizard. The aborigine would never have the capacity for education that the scientist had.

That's down to acquired knowledge, not intelligence.

The scientist could soon learn which root bulbs give water, and how to trap a lizard. The aborigine would never have the capacity for education that the scientist had.

how do you know?

besides intelligence is the ability to apply knowledge

how do you know?

besides intelligence is the ability to apply knowledge

I give up trying to explain to the do-gooder PC brigade that some races are thick as a plank and others have varied gifts between their ears.

There have been various studies showing some races to be brighter than others, and some to be - on average - up to 40 points below Western Europeans. It's proven, and nomatter how much the liberals and those who cry 'racism' at every opportuniy dig their heads in the sand when presented with evidence, it's a simple fact of life.

That's why many countries never evolved a written language, or mathematics, or pushed technology beyond the stone age. And no, I'm not going to Google to find the references - last time did that I was (as ever) banned for the heresy of explaining that we're not all equal.

I give up trying to explain to the do-gooder PC brigade that some races are thick as a plank and others have varied gifts between their ears.

There have been various studies showing some races to be brighter than others, and some to be - on average - up to 40 points below Western Europeans. It's proven, and nomatter how much the liberals and those who cry 'racism' at every opportuniy dig their heads in the sand when presented with evidence, it's a simple fact of life.

That's why many countries never evolved a written language, or mathematics, or pushed technology beyond the stone age. And no, I'm not going to Google to find the references - last time did that I was (as ever) banned for the heresy of explaining that we're not all equal.

the point i'm making is that intelligence isn't necessarily academic intelligence. its the ability to apply the knowledge you have to the best possible advantage for yourself.

some cultures don't have a writing system because its not all that necessary. that doesn't make them 'thick'. if you live in a hostile environment then you're chief motivation is surviving not writing stuff down.

not only aren't the various races equally as smart there are massive physical differences as well

Archived