Are all cultures intelligently equal.

seems he did

I have not read the srticle yet, but sounds a little if not a lot silly to suggest something like that.:loopy:

But why is it silly?

I cannot understand why people just stick their head in the sand when the matter of comparative racial intellect is raised.

We are all different. Different races have different traits, strengths and weaknesses. There are different muscle distributions, bone structures and susceptibilities to types of diseases and genetic defects. These are all clear, unambiguous and totally accepted even by the most vociferous of blinkered sandal-wearing do-gooders.

The same applies to intellect. The Orientals tend to be a bit hotter at maths than Europeans, which takes their average above ours. The nations vary widely even within Europe, and the African nations drag far, far behind.

Do not assume that the people who conduct these studies know less than you do about how to measure somebody’s brainpower – I suspect they, as professionally qualified psychologists and human scientists, know a little more about it than the average Forum armchair expert.

But why is it silly?

I cannot understand why people just stick their head in the sand when the matter of comparative racial intellect is raised.

We are all different. Different races have different traits, strengths and weaknesses. There are different muscle distributions, bone structures and susceptibilities to types of diseases and genetic defects. These are all clear, unambiguous and totally accepted even by the most vociferous of blinkered sandal-wearing do-gooders.

The same applies to intellect. The Orientals tend to be a bit hotter at maths than Europeans, which takes their average above ours. The nations vary widely even within Europe, and the African nations drag far, far behind.

Do not assume that the people who conduct these studies know less than you do about how to measure somebody’s brainpower – I suspect they, as professionally qualified psychologists and human scientists, know a little more about it than the average Forum armchair expert.

lol, Bartfarst I do love you. There is NO measure of someones whole brainpower, and as I have already posted; the question of intelligence is very much debated, especially the definition. Wasn't the OP about intelligence, not intellect?

Ooops, sorry I thought that had already gone off :)

The western superiority hand grenade... Are some of us looking at this with a western superiority complex? Would we have a different view if we lived (say) a nomadic tundra lifestyle that was self sustaining and perhaps even required no monies or typical western values. Woudl we look at us and think "how stupid?"

Ooops, sorry I thought that had already gone off :)

The western superiority hand grenade... Are some of us looking at this with a western superiority complex? Would we have a different view if we lived (say) a nomadic tundra lifestyle that was self sustaining and perhaps even required no monies or typical western values. Woudl we look at us and think "how stupid?"

BA BOOOOOM!!!

:banana: :banana:

Because discussing such subjects tends to bring out people who believe that certain races are inherently superior to others and use spurious out of context facts and opinions-stated-as-facts to try and back them up. all the time claiming that they are not racist.

We are all different. Different races have different traits, strengths and weaknesses. There are different muscle distributions, bone structures and susceptibilities to types of diseases and genetic defects. These are all clear, unambiguous and

possibly true, but then please quote your sources instead of adding on

totally accepted even by the most vociferous of blinkered sandal-wearing do-gooders.
which won't endear anyone to your cause. you may not be intending to wind people up with this, but you will (but not me).

The same applies to intellect.

No it doesn't, it's not the same as intelligence, as other posters have pointed out.

The Orientals tend to be a bit hotter at maths than Europeans, which takes their average above ours. The nations vary widely even within Europe, and the African nations drag far, far behind.

This has far more to do with education than cultures or differences in races.

I also do not assume that they are free from their own prejudices either. many of these IQ 'tests' have been demonstrated to be highly biased towards western cultures' knowledge and education systems. We westerners can be shown to be equally unintelligent and ignorant by other tests.

There will be no accurate intelligence test until a way of measuring open-mindedness is devised . That is, a test designed to see how easily people's minds can be changed when faced with evidence contrary to their own beliefs/opinions.

Mentally editing out everything which does not agree with a view already held, and only really seeing that which bolsters an already held belief leads to highly predictable opinions from a large number of people on a wide variety of subjects, including many with high IQs, and they're the worst types, because they come up with the most eloquent arguments to support their narrow minded and predictable views.

There are people who strive to impress how well-educated/intelligent they are, yet are utterly predictable in what opinion they will have on any given subject. Is being so predictable really a sign of intelligence? I think what it actually shows is a chronic inability to evaluate information in an impartial manner. Maybe we can't get an accurate picture of intelligence whilst it is defined along such narrow lines.

Nah, it isn't. You can learn to do IQ tests. I was bored the other day and did a few, and I got better scores the more I did - first one was 135 and third one was 142. Started to realise what sort of format the questions came in and what they were looking for after a bit.

I remember doing a lot of IQ/psychometric testing when I was looking for jobs as a graduate. I think that you can increase your 'IQ' by a small factor after repetitive testing, and then it plateaus. (Or I was lead to believe as such.) Until of course, you educate yourself further and push that personal boundary by expanding your mind.

To answer the thread title. No, I don't think so. I think it's one of those things that u cannot measure very directly, and fairly. It would always be subjective, and undefinable without limitations.

Archived