Hearing aids - NHS or private?

I was just about to make the same comment!!!

However I have an NHS hearing aid, a Siemens Teneo M+,(behind the ear) which is OK but still have difficulty having a conversation when there is a lot of background noise.

My wife persuaded me to have a hearing check as she was fed up with me telling her to stop mumbling and repeat what she said.

I had got used to my hearing loss and I find with the aid some everyday sounds are unbearable and take the aid out.

eg kids screaming in Tesco, seagulls screeching, our station clock TICK TOCK.

these sounds don't worry my wife who has pin sharp hearing.

I suppose I should wear the aid all the time and in time ignore these sounds.

I wear specs and the aid has to fit between the arm af the specs and my ear which is a little uncomfortable at times.

I have forgotten that I'm wearing and have dropped it in the bath (panic panic) but it was OK.

A friend paid £2000 about 15 years ago for an in the ear aid (ITE) and another paid £6K last year for two ITEs.

A bit out of my range:rolleyes:

However I have an NHS hearing aid, a Siemens Teneo M+,(behind the ear) which is OK but still have difficulty having a conversation when there is a lot of background noise.

My wife persuaded me to have a hearing check as she was fed up with me telling her to stop mumbling and repeat what she said.

I had got used to my hearing loss and I find with the aid some everyday sounds are unbearable and take the aid out.

I wear specs and the aid has to fit between the arm af the specs and my ear which is a little uncomfortable at times.

I have forgotten that I'm wearing and have dropped it in the bath (panic panic) but it was OK.

A friend paid £2000 about 15 years ago for an in the ear aid (ITE) and another paid £6K last year for two ITEs.

Thank you. I know what you mean about everyday sounds seeming exaggerated. Couldn't believe how noisy leaves rustling in trees could be!! I've found that to persevere is the answer - in time I got used to the noises that other people were used to hearing. It's not an exact science when in company and lots of people are chatting. As to "private" - VERY expensive and such a gamble if there's no guarantee that they'll work.

A friend's brother in law bought hearing aids from Boots and likes them very much. He was allowed to try them so that he could decide if they were suitable. I have another friend who has had a cochlear implant and prior to that could never get on with NHS hearing aids for the reason described by Medusa - her hearing loss was specific ranges and the aids amplified everything so were uncomfortable for her.

You are right about persevering. It takes a while to get used to hearing aids so give the NHS ones a good amount of time. You can always consider private aids at a later date if you are not satisfied. Perhaps there are a range of prices, depending on type. Do some research - perhaps the RNID might be a good place to start.

Well, SF never fails!! A simple (I thought) query on hearing aids and, true to form, within a couple of posts a whole can of worms opens debate on the rights and wrongs of childcare. I love you people!

Thanks anyway to those answering my query.

Lol sorry about my part in that. I was about to reply to your post and got sidetracked by a pet peeve. I was going to ask if your hearing problems were work-related like mine. In my case, it was proven to be noise-induced and as I had proof of working in a noisy industry over at least 20 years( I did over 50) I qualified for free hearing aids for life including batteries etc from the Workmen's Comp. I also got some cash. My point here is if yours was like that you wouldn't have to shop around, you would get the best available. I get upgraded every 5 years.

My parents live down south, so it'll be a different CCG and funding arrangements and procurement arrangements for the NHS provider. My dad went private for a hearing aid, and despite numerous visits to the provider, could not get the devices to work properly. He went via the NHS route, and got similar Siemans hearing aids as supplied privately, and seems happier with them.

I'm not sure that the hearing aids are any better, or if his expectations of what the hearing aids can do is more realistic. He still struggles with hearing some speech and turns them off at times.

I had to laugh at the part where your wife gets annoyed lol. I don't wear mine very often and if I say what? more than once, she will say "get yer hearing aids in" I reply, "why, so I can hear your nagging in stereo?":D

I had to laugh at the part where your wife gets annoyed lol. I don't wear mine very often and if I say what? more than once, she will say "get yer hearing aids in" I reply, "why, so I can hear your nagging in stereo?":D

Think I"m getting a bit hard of hearing Mr T. went to my club last week and the Con Sec said, settle down now please, we have some country and western...…..

I thought he said, Some **** from preston.

Think I"m getting a bit hard of hearing Mr T. went to my club last week and the Con Sec said, settle down now please, we have some country and western...…..

I thought he said, Some **** from preston.

Brilliant::hihi::hihi: