How do speed cameras work?

I've just been reading about the most "successful" speed camera as regards generating revenue.

Apparently there's a camera on the M32 which has caught over 22,000 speeding vehicles in 2018's first 5 months.

The report goes on to say that, at £100 a pop, that single camera would generate close to £5m for the year.

Edited by RiffRaff

Have you tried not speeding? I do 20k a year and I've never been "taxed".

Ive never been fleeced by one either. I know where they all are around sheffield and Barnsley ,including the spots where they put the mobile scameras ,so its easy enough to slow down to the limit before i get to one.

I visited a Morrisons supermarket this week and there was a Police Van fitted out with CCTV cameras and number plate recognition cameras parked up in a drop off space. On the Police van it stated 'Morrisons in partnership with the Police serving the community' I didn't think it was a Supermarkets job to catch illegal motorists.

Edited by Lockdoctor

Ive never been fleeced by one either. I know where they all are around sheffield and Barnsley ,including the spots where they put the mobile scameras ,so its easy enough to slow down to the limit before i get to one.

You have been caught speeding though Penny......

Letting the police use a space in their car park is just being a good corporate citizen isn't it? It's not like they somehow catching illegal motorists.

Having your company logo and name on a Police vehicle used to catch illegal motorists, with the word partnership and providing a parking space, implies to me, that Morrisons are somehow catching illegal motorists.

Having your company logo and name on a Police vehicle used to catch illegal motorists, with the word partnership and providing a parking space, implies to me, that Morrisons are somehow catching illegal motorists.

Nope they're just facilitating it....the more uninsured drivers we get off the road the better...

Does it... Well, your mind works in mysterious ways. :thumbsup:

It implies they're helping facilitate catching illegal motorists - and quite rightly.

It would be a great idea to have ANPR cameras on all supermarket entrances.