'Sexist' Image of Firemen Puts Women Off Joining

Apparently the 'sexist' portrayal of firemen in the media is putting women off becoming firefighters.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/21/sexist-portrayals-muscle-bound-firemen-put-women-profession/

Personally, if that's all that's going to put you off that particular career, i'm quite happy with you not joining. I want the best of the best when it comes to saving my life, so if an 'image' is going to put you off, i doubt you'd be mentally and emotionally equipped to enter a burning building.

London Fire Commissioner Dany Cotton blamed stereotypical images of firefighters as sex objects for the reason that many women still considered it a man’s job.

So if sexist images put women off the job, you somehow conclude that they wouldn't be physically capable of doing the job...

"I'm especially concerned about how many young people think firefighting is for men,” she said.

"When popular shows like Love Island roll out every offensive cliche possible with their so-called 'fireman challenge', it reinforces the misconception that all firefighters are musclebound men. No wonder so many young women are put off by that."

You don't think that as a very senior female firefighter she might actually know more about this subject than you do and perhaps have a point?

It's a lot of fuss about nothing.

People these days complain about every little thing.

I agree.

I’ve particularly noticed a lot of people who complain about other people complaining about stuff.

They are the worst kind of complainers.

So if sexist images put women off the job, you somehow conclude that they wouldn't be physically capable of doing the job...

You don't think that as a very senior female firefighter she might actually know more about this subject than you do and perhaps have a point?

The romantic Hollywood image of firefighters has done a lot of good for recruitment and long may it continue. There's no good reason why it should put women off from joining as well.

No, being a senior female doesn't make her right.

I didn't say it did.

I did say that she might actually know more about the subject than Leviathan and perhaps she does actually have a point.

---------- Post added 25-08-2018 at 13:44 ----------

The romantic Hollywood image of firefighters has done a lot of good for recruitment and long may it continue. There's no good reason why it should put women off from joining as well.

Is that right?

Perhaps you should get in touch with them and let them know, I guess they don't have access to the in depth data and recruitment figures that you're using.