What are your thoughts on the current rail strike?

There is a rail strike by Northern rail today, next Saturday and the Saturday after at least.

Have been informed by Northern that only 30% of trains will be running, and this is between 09.00 to 18.00. Bus replacements will be provided. The total travel time for our original direct train is about 4hr 20mins inc the return leg, so we won`t be faffing about on any replacement busses. It is not like we must travel for work-it`s a day out.

6 of us have advanced tickets for a trip next Sat but there is a 90% chance we will be cancelling on Thursday when Northern confirm the alternative plans for 1st Sept.

There is a rail strike by Northern rail today, next Saturday and the Saturday after at least.

Have been informed by Northern that only 30% of trains will be running, and this is between 09.00 to 18.00. Bus replacements will be provided. The total travel time for our original direct train is about 4hr 20mins inc the return leg, so we won`t be faffing about on any replacement busses. It is not like we must travel for work-it`s a day out.

6 of us have advanced tickets for a trip next Sat but there is a 90% chance we will be cancelling on Thursday when Northern confirm the alternative plans for 1st Sept.

It’s a pathetic strike. There are no safety issues with driver only trains as they try to make out. Welcome to modernising technology that requires less workers. It’s the future.

It’s a pathetic strike. There are no safety issues with driver only trains as they try to make out. Welcome to modernising technology that requires less workers. It’s the future.

A quick Google brings up this headlines

Guard saves passenger's life on Merseyrail train.

https://www.southportvisiter.co.uk/news/southport-west-lancs/guard-saves-passengers-life-merseyrail-12720356

If the guards made some sort of agreement and went back to work, we would then have the train drivers striking because they already have enough responsibility, without accepting more, because there would be no guard.

The guard below went to jail for 5 years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-20339630

Wonder what the pay is like for Northern. Unlike most (I say most as some train mangers so) other operators like East Midlands and Cross Country, my ticket is checked every journey between Chesterfield and Sheffield. On other services it's probably 5% of the time. However they have awful rolling stock.

Wonder what the pay is like for Northern. Unlike most (I say most as some train mangers so) other operators like East Midlands and Cross Country, my ticket is checked every journey between Chesterfield and Sheffield. On other services it's probably 5% of the time. However they have awful rolling stock.

Train companies generally pay very well, because they have strong unions. Northern pay is less than other companies, but their pay has nothing to do with the strike action. I believe a guard gets over £25K

I would feel better having a guard on the train than not in respect of unruly passengers etc.

I think the fares will continue to rise on trains regardless of employing guards. Without a guard I am guessing that they would have to employ more despatches?

Usually, maybe. But it's the unusual and emergencies that need someone to take charge. And it's always good to have someone to help passengers and supply information etc. And I'd rather see someone paid to do a job than paid unemployment benefit.

Edited by Anna B

Usually, maybe. But it's the unusual and emergencies that need someone to take charge. And it's always good to have someone to help passengers and supply information etc. And I'd rather see someone paid to do a job than paid unemployment benefit.

The conclusion of the Rail Safety and Standards Board, and the Office of Rail and Road, who both say that driver only trains are safe provided that appropriate procedures are in place. Which means that the drivers need a clear view of a well-lit station and cameras with a sharp image, including at night-time.

CCTV images of passengers alighting are not always as safe as a guard looking from the middle or end of the train.

The conclusion of the Rail Safety and Standards Board, and the Office of Rail and Road, who both say that driver only trains are safe provided that appropriate procedures are in place. Which means that the drivers need a clear view of a well-lit station and cameras with a sharp image, including at night-time.

CCTV images of passengers alighting are not always as safe as a guard looking from the middle or end of the train.

Mmm... how long before there's an accident or some such, and the excuse will be 'in this instance correct procedures were not followed, but lessons will be learned...'

Mmm... how long before there's an accident or some such, and the excuse will be 'in this instance correct procedures were not followed, but lessons will be learned...'

There already has been and that's on trains with guards. Virgin Class 221/220? don't seem to detect when someone is standing in the doorway when they close...unless they fixed it.