New Debt Crisis

Me too. I spent a fair amount of time robbing Peter to pay Paul when interest rates hit 15%. It was desperate at times, but never so desperate that I had to resort to a moneylender. I could always cut back somewhere, shave a bit off the food bill etc.

You go to a moneylender and get into debt when you've exploited all these.

Not real money lenders- but the guys with the book of coupons were rife as was places like Fashion Focus and the layaways for clothes and the boom for catalogue credit.

Update in today's paper:

'Family debt hits a record £213 Billion, on credit cards, car finance and short term loans. This excludes mortgages, and is now £5.2 Billion higher than its previous peak in 2008 - at the start of the financial crisis.'

'The figures suggest millions of borrowers will struggle to ever repay what they owe. It means that if we suffer an economic downturn, consumers could lose their jobs causing a wave of loan defaults which would damage major banks.'

So, here we go again...

i wonder how we got on in the 50s and 60s, full time employment low wages most people could not afford holidays, no credit cards, no loan sharks, a bit of credit for those little extras which was allways paid of, what is the difference between then and today, it maybe people in the 50s and 60s had a lot more pride in themselves?

Update in today's paper:

'Family debt hits a record £213 Billion, on credit cards, car finance and short term loans. This excludes mortgages, and is now £5.2 Billion higher than its previous peak in 2008 - at the start of the financial crisis.'

'The figures suggest millions of borrowers will struggle to ever repay what they owe. It means that if we suffer an economic downturn, consumers could lose their jobs causing a wave of loan defaults which would damage major banks.'

So, here we go again...

Happy little soul aren't you . Which paper ?

Daily Mail of course, but something similar also in Sun - only the best papers for me, - and a bit on News.

What gets me is all the effort that's been put into 'Austerity' for 10 years, and nobody's thought to put the brakes on the banks, especially after the last crash.

So you are quite happy to quote the mail and the sun but when they print something about Jeremy ,you say they cant be trusted :huh:

I was quoting a TV programme actually.

The point of the thread was a growing number of people who are finding themselves on the breadline.

I don't trust statistics but people seem to insist on them on threads like this. I prefer to trust my instincts, and they keep telling me that many people are in serious financial trouble, the economy is not as robust as the government want us to think, and there's something very dodgy about the employment figures.

I don't think we know the half of it.

I was quoting a TV programme actually.

The point of the thread was a growing number of people who are finding themselves on the breadline.

I don't trust statistics but people seem to insist on them on threads like this. I prefer to trust my instincts, and they keep telling me that many people are in serious financial trouble, the economy is not as robust as the government want us to think, and there's something very dodgy about the employment figures.

I don't think we know the half of it.

Rubbish , You said you had seen it in the mail and the sun and "a bit on the news " . Now its a tv programme . Stop back tracking :roll:

Daily Mail of course, but something similar also in Sun - only the best papers for me, - and a bit on News.

What gets me is all the effort that's been put into 'Austerity' for 10 years, and nobody's thought to put the brakes on the banks, especially after the last crash.

What do you mean by "brakes on the banks" ?