La Vina, Ecclesall Road

I have been to La Vina twice and enjoyed it both times. Its not the best tapas I've ever had, but didn't expect it to be the standard of a 5 star restaurant. Food has always been tasty with plenty of choice on the menu, an excellent customer service and a nice interior. At the end of the day though it is a chain restaurant and not particularly expensive, so i'd only ever go for an informal light lunch or dinner - and it serves its purpose for me personally.

I was in there the other night. Not impressed. It has all the hallmarks of a chain restaurant which churns out the same tat day in day out......and that's exactly what it does! The food isn't that bad but it's all covered in too much sauce possibly to hide the fact that it's not been cooked all that brilliantly! The service was actually good with the exception of a very rude manageress who got quite annoyed with us when we asked to be seated after standing around waiting for 10 minutes when they could find no record of the booking. When the bill arrived it included a dish which we'd ordered but never received.

i'd give it a 4/10

Yes, well it is a chain restauant. There's a load of them, part of the La Tasca Group

http://www.lavina.co.uk/LOC/Locations.html

Whilst La Viña is still targeted at the casual dining market and features Spanish tapas dishes and drinks, the décor and atmosphere are quite different. It is designed to appeal to an older (30-45 year olds) and more sophisticated customer and the menu features a wide selection of dishes and main courses with a more adventurous and expensive wine list. We believe that La Viña represents an excellent opportunity to develop a second casual dining brand in key locations and thus further consolidate the Group's position in the Spanish restaurant sector. We have been very encouraged by the early trading performance of both La Viña sites and believe it represents a strong prospect for future expansion.

Hi

I love tapas - total favourite and I've been in La Vina a few times but purely because I live so close. The first time I went the service was very poor and the food ok but nothing special.

As I say, I did go back because we decided to give it another go, assuming they were having a bad day and it had not been open long. However, on subsequent visits the service has been absolutely dire! We were shown to a table then left without menus or drinks for 20 minutes before I went to the bar and asked to be served. It was really quiet, during the day and there was plenty of staff. When we finally got our food it was, as I said, ok but definatley not worth it.

Oh, and it doesn't seem to matter how you dress, I've been in casual or dolled up and so have my friends and it makes no difference whatsoever!!

Really wouldn't recommend it unless you have a lot of time.

We even tried sitting by the bar to eat once and were totally ignored by the barman until we got up and asked him - also - he tried to charge 2 different prices for the same round of drinks!!

Hope this helps anyone who was intending to go not to!!!

Abbie

Yes I have to revise my opinion of this place again - its absolutely great and booked up for ages - its the place to be seen in now in trendy eccleshall rd and another welcome addition to the cosmopolitan area ...

I hope you are being sarcastic Patrick2000.

It's a very very sad state of affairs if a generic chain restaurant/bar like La Vina is classed as a place to be seen in Sheffield...

• 1 year later...

I'm sure I'm not the first to have noticed it but the La Vina branding has been dumped in favour of La Tasca, perhaps a move to appeal to younger age groups?

Hi,

wondering the price for the wine that shown in the LaVina's website, http://www.lavina.co.uk/drinks/DRINKS_3/drinks.html does the price for 'a glass of wine' or 'a bottle'? do they serve any other drinks other than wine (i.e soft drink).

Archived