Climate Change thread

Hmmm... :huh:

And, as if more proof was needed that some people may be overreacting just a little bit to a few days of summer weather...

... zoo keepers are now hosing down animals to keep them cool!

Now I'm no expert in zoological matters, and I can quite understand the odd tree penguin feeling a bit hot under the collar, but...

... maybe someone should inform these 'experts' that most of the animals they appear to be hosing down are normally quite happy roaming around wild in Africa, and probably wouldn't be too annoyed if they never experienced the joys of sucking on an iced veggie lolly! :roll:

Guest sibon
44 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

And, as if more proof was needed that some people may be overreacting just a little bit to a few days of summer weather...

... zoo keepers are now hosing down animals to keep them cool!

Now I'm no expert in zoological matters, and I can quite understand the odd tree penguin feeling a bit hot under the collar, but...

... maybe someone should inform these 'experts' that most of the animals they appear to be hosing down are normally quite happy roaming around wild in Africa, and probably wouldn't be too annoyed if they never experienced the joys of sucking on an iced veggie lolly! :roll:

I did have the same thought when I saw the Chester Zoo staff hosing a rhino down.

But then again, I’m not a rhino keeper, or an elephant carer. I’m guessing that you probably aren’t either.

Maybe the elephant/rhino experts know stuff that we don’t. I’d like to think that was the case.

Just now, sibon said:

I did have the same thought when I saw the Chester Zoo staff hosing a rhino down.

But then again, I’m not a rhino keeper, or an elephant carer. I’m guessing that you probably aren’t either.

Maybe the elephant/rhino experts know stuff that we don’t. I’d like to think that was the case.

It's just expert "best practices".

Jailors alway demand that their inmates shower every day!  :)

11 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

Would animals born and reared in this country automatically be ok with the heat just because they’re native to Africa? 
Genuine question btw.

Well their bodies have been 'designed' to cope with the high temperatures...

... otherwise they wouldn't be around in the wild any more, would they?

I suspect the majority of them are far more put out by being held 'in captivity' than by a couple of days of weather that their parents/grandparents may have told them about, but that they've never experienced for themselves... :(

Just now, nikki-red said:

Would animals born and reared in this country automatically be ok with the heat just because they’re native to Africa? 
Genuine question btw.

Well in the wild, they take mud baths. The mud helps keep the flies and parasites away for a while.

I'm not sure if they can match that in a zoo.

But I'm I'm sure the elephants don't mind a good hose down on a hot day.

5 hours ago, Chekhov said:

My basic point was that if the climate is warming up some will lose out but some will benefit, and that is undeniable.

More likely, it'll mean some will lose less than others.

Climate Emergency zealots will go Ape over that, but it's true.

What about the millions of people who're going to be heading north to Europe and beyond?

Orders of magnitude more than now... could be quite expensive!

So... on balance, I doubt it really is true.

Edited by Magilla

11 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I have answered this post on the Covid thread, here.

Life is relative.

The last two days have been something and nothing compared with WWII, or even suppressing society for about two years.....

Except it wasn't.

Those who have suggested the last two days have been challenging, or even deadly for some, have never suggested that it compares to the hardships endured in wartime. They have made no mention of WW2 until you brought it up as a comparator.

Only you have done that. Whether the last two days have been comparable is neither here nor there. 

Edited by Bargepole23

9 hours ago, trastrick said:

You'll find people thriving above the Arctic Circle, in the Sahara, and in the hottest Equatorial Forests.

The eccos are determined to regulate the Earth's temperature 50 years from now!

Good luck with that!

Discaimer:

It is very hot and humid where I live in the Dominican Republic. All the time.

Nobody is dying from the heat!  :)

Hi Simon

There are some voices that say that this weather is going to be the norm....

There are also some voices that say that the world is going to end and that it will burn...

Back in 1995 Denver International Airport was built in the USA and they commissioned Mr Tanguma an artist to paint some murals to be displayed inside the airport for the passengers some say they are very odd indeed and that they show that their is a conspiracy in place.... 

I am not one of those voices....

Edited by Box11