Climate Change thread

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Funny how these climate change doomsters always come up with a negatives......

Hark at him...on another thread thats all youre doing, consistantly

3 minutes ago, trastrick said:

What is seen as a doomsday scenario by the chicken littles, rational humans see it as a problem still to be solved. A challenge.

Populations living on or beside historic flood plain lands need to be dealt with by political leadership and engineering solutions.

Imagine if all that powerful water, could be dammed to provide cheap hydro electricity!

But that takes political leadership and will, that is none existent in most of the World. Their politicians are just happy to take Western humanitarian aid every year, with no strings attached.

Again, i'll ask, is a third of Pakistan on a flood plain?

Does a third of Pakistan normally flood when theres the big floods?

Did a third of Pakistan flood in 2010?

Those are the questions

5 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Hark at him...on another thread thats all youre doing, consistantly

Again, i'll ask, is a third of Pakistan on a flood plain?

Does a third of Pakistan normally flood when theres the big floods?

Did a third of Pakistan flood in 2010?

Those are the questions

A simple topographic map, or today satellite imaging can give you that sort of technical information.  :)

1 minute ago, trastrick said:

A simple topographic map, or today satellite imaging can give you that sort of technical information.  :)

And wouldnt climate change / Environmental "experts" know and use such things when looking at climate change?

23 minutes ago, melthebell said:

And wouldnt climate change / Environmental "experts" know and use such things when looking at climate change?

I would hope so!

But that has nothing to do with Pakistan's problem.

Which is they choose to spend their money on their Arsenal of Nuclear weapons, rather than flood control.

They are just happy blaming "climate change" and knowing that there are more than enough sympathizers in the "prosperous" West, who will help them out with their recurring flood damages.

It's almost a conflict of interest. The more flood death and destruction, the more Western aid! The more money in the pockets of the local politicians.

Edited by trastrick
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 30/08/2022 at 01:11, The_DADDY said:

David Bellamy was spot on about this subject.

I used to love watching David on TV, I wonder what happed to him🤔

Just Googled it.

He died 😪

He was still right though.

Yeah David Bellamy was brilliant...

On 02/09/2022 at 01:35, El Cid said:

I do some gardening work. With this hot and dry weather it's very noticeable that grass/trees are struggling. Just hope that the colder countries will benefit more.

What would you advise us novice gardeners...

Is there any point in replacing dead plants constantly if this is the weather we have to get used to from now on....

What advice have you got regarding plants that thrive in this weather...

I know this is not the right thread to ask but would be good to know from someone who does gardening for a living...

1 hour ago, Box11 said:

I know this is not the right thread to ask but would be good to know from someone who does gardening for a living...

I don't do it for a living, just a side line to pay my gas bill.

Climate change predicts more severe weather and more rain, so no one knows if we will have these dry heatwaves or not.

India/Pakistan are having more severe flooding, Australia and other countries more hot dry weather.

The only certainty is that the UK climate is changing.

2 hours ago, Box11 said:

Is there any point in replacing dead plants constantly if this is the weather we have to get used to from now on....

What advice have you got regarding plants that thrive in this weather...

I don’t garden for a living, but I spend a fair bit of time doing it. 

I’m more and more inclined towards planting drought resistant plants these days. Most plants of Mediterranean origin cope well with dry weather, although some aren’t too keen on the cold.

The RHS have a useful list:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/for-places/drought-resistant

6 hours ago, sibon said:

I don’t garden for a living, but I spend a fair bit of time doing it. 

I’m more and more inclined towards planting drought resistant plants these days. Most plants of Mediterranean origin cope well with dry weather, although some aren’t too keen on the cold.

The RHS have a useful list:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/for-places/drought-resistant

Thanks for the link....