Climate Change thread

Apart from Organgrinder pointedly avoiding answering it, did I ever get an answer to this qustion ? :

On 29/06/2023 at 16:39, Chekhov said:

These Nett Zero zealots have a massive problem with loads of things once the **** starts hitting the fan, but possibly one of the biggest issues is cars.

Motoring is relatively cheap now. I sold my old Focus (06 plate) for about £1.5K and with decent maintenance it might last up to 5 years. With none it'll probably still be good for two years or so and it was a car which could pretty reliably get you to Penzance or John O'Groats.

There is no way one of these electric cars, even second hand, will be available for anywhere near £1500.

And how will it get you from Sheffield to John O'Groats ?

Why should motoring only be the preserve of the well off ?

9 hours ago, harvey19 said:

Would it be preferable to sail to South Africa rather than fly ?

If we had the time, which one would more likely have if retired, it would be very nice.

However, it would probably cost far more and, all things considered, I wonder of it really would be that much more environmentally friendly.

Edited by Chekhov

I see that barmpot Greta Thunberg has been arrested for blocking an oil depot or summat in Sweden.

I can imagine someone similar protesting in 1066 "I'm sorry William, but you can't build a Tower on the Thames because it would spoil everyone's view of the inner-city farm on Watling Street"

Then there's those morons who have decided that Britain's countryside was absolutely perfect in about 1910 and that every effort must be made to keep the dry stone walls and the hedges, and the village idiots.

Now of course it's the climate,

The temperature has shifted dramatically over the millennia, and will continue to do so, so what crackpot has decided that it's correct now.

Look at Scotland,

It began life as part of America, although at this time it was down near the South Pole, gradually it broke away from Iowa and began to move Northwards, until about 400 million years ago, when it sank just off the Equator.

What would have happened if someone around that time had decided that enough is enough, and the World should be preserved just as it was?

We'd have no tarmac, No haggis, No phones, No penicillin, No highland bagpipes, No bolshie trade unionists, No labour party,

Actually, on balance, it wouldn't have been all bad.

The World will keep changing, and there's now't we can do about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Padders said:

I see that barmpot Greta Thunberg has been arrested for blocking an oil depot or summat in Sweden.

I can imagine someone similar protesting in 1066 "I'm sorry William, but you can't build a Tower on the Thames because it would spoil everyone's view of the inner-city farm on Watling Street"

Then there's those morons who have decided that Britain's countryside was absolutely perfect in about 1910 and that every effort must be made to keep the dry stone walls and the hedges, and the village idiots.

The temperature has shifted dramatically over the millennia, and will continue to do so, so what crackpot has decided that it's correct now.

Look at Scotland,

It began life as part of America, although at this time it was down near the South Pole, gradually it broke away from Iowa and began to move Northwards, until about 400 million years ago, when it sank just off the Equator.

What would have happened if someone around that time had decided that enough is enough, and the World should be preserved just as it was?

We'd have no tarmac, No haggis, No phones, No penicillin, No highland bagpipes, No bolshie trade unionists, No labour party,

And so endeth  education lesson for today by professor Padders

Is this a serious post or a quick laugh ?

Whichever it is, your last line is completely  wrong.

The worlds changing as it does naturally over time but it's also changing due to the effect of humans.

We can do nothing about the natural cycle of change,  but when it comes to the human effect, every single climatologist in the world would challenge you on that statement

Maybe not if they'd had a couple of hours in Padders bar though,  where I imagine, you assemble all your thoughts.

Edited by Organgrinder

8 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

And so endeth  education lesson for today by professor Padders

Is this a serious post or a quick laugh ?

Whichever it is, your last line is completely  wrong.

The worlds changing as it does naturally over time but it's also changing due to the effect of humans.

We can do nothing about the natural cycle of change,  but when it comes to the human effect, every single climatologist in the world would challenge you on that statement

Maybe not if they'd had a couple of hours in Padders bar though,  where I imagine, you assemble all your thoughts.

Last sentence is not called for . You are becoming very rude 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Thank you for the "Padders Bar" plug Mr. Grinder, much appreciated, may I add your very welcome to join our happy crowd.

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

If you let that old curmudgeon  join , best get your windows boarded up   :rant:

Hang on pal while I get the old dictionary out....

Hmmmm,

Bad mannered, surly or stingy person.

He's barred, I've already got one stingy member.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Padders said:

Look at Scotland,

That was funny and educational at the sane time.

17 minutes ago, Padders said:

Hang on pal while I get the old dictionary out....

Hmmmm,

Bad mannered, surly or stingy person.

He's barred, I've already got one stingy member.

Is that Mr Bloke who’s the stingy member?