Climate Change thread

41 minutes ago, El Cid said:

The experts would give a more detailed answer. We know CO2, methane etc cause the greenhouse effect.

But .... I am not an expert, and never claimed to be. What is you  point, or is your parish councillor position going to your head?

• Haha 1

A greenhouse gas is any gas with more than 2 atoms in the molecule.

I'm not an expert either.

Definition of an expert.

X is an unknown and spurt is a drip under pressure.

4 hours ago, RollingJ said:

But .... I am not an expert, and never claimed to be. What is you  point, or is your parish councillor position going to your head?

I don't think being a parish councillor is relevant in this discussion.

4 hours ago, Uggy said:

A greenhouse gas is any gas with more than 2 atoms in the molecule.

I'm not an expert either.

Definition of an expert.

X is an unknown and spurt is a drip under pressure.

Very unlikely to be any experts on here, I like to consider climate change to be one of my interests.

So if we are not experts, we rely heavily on what we read.

What would make people to not believe the experts, like NASA, The Met Office, NOAA; but instead believe someone or some website that they have seen?

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Very unlikely to be any experts on here, I like to consider climate change to be one of my interests.

So if we are not experts, we rely heavily on what we read.

What would make people to not believe the experts, like NASA, The Met Office, NOAA; but instead believe someone or some website that they have seen?

I don't doubt that the climate is changing or that we're contributing to the change, but I don't think it is either an emergency or a crisis, I'm not totally convinced that the earth is warming, it might be but as far as I understand from what I've read there does not seem to be any definitive proof.

Also most of the most expensive properties are by water, so instead of eating the rich, which was the idea in the 60s we can drown em.

51 minutes ago, Uggy said:

I don't doubt that the climate is changing or that we're contributing to the change, but I don't think it is either an emergency or a crisis, I'm not totally convinced that the earth is warming, it might be but as far as I understand from what I've read there does not seem to be any definitive proof.

Also most of the most expensive properties are by water, so instead of eating the rich, which was the idea in the 60s we can drown em.

What someone regard as an 'emergency' or a 'crisis' and depends very much on their vested interests and timescale.

Someone over 50 is far more likely not to be affected by the effects of climate change over the next fifty years.

Politicians, investors, capitalists, economists and planners do not focus on such long term effects no matter how profound. 

You will never find "...any definitive proof" of climate change -science does not work that way and never has.

What you have got, if you care to look, is billions of bits of data collected millions of locations showing trends across the globe that are explained by an increase in solar energy being retained in the oceans, surface and atmosphere. In the history of the Earth such events went hand in hand with orbit, continental drift, evolution of species, sea current changes, new mountain ranges, afforestation,  volcanic activity, fire, exposure of certain rocks, release of methane etc-many of which feed off each other. These 'natural' factors have not gone away but are being modified by human activity. 

Change will happen because we stick more heat energy into the atmosphere and we make changes that enable more heat to be retained.

There would have been scientists around in the 60's that a disproportionate number of poor people are subject to flooding and seas level changes.

12 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

What someone regard as an 'emergency' or a 'crisis' and depends very much on their vested interests and timescale.

Someone over 50 is far more likely not to be affected by the effects of climate change over the next fifty years.

Politicians, investors, capitalists, economists and planners do not focus on such long term effects no matter how profound.,,,,,

......There would have been scientists around in the 60's that a disproportionate number of poor people are subject to flooding and seas level changes.

The problem is not the scientists.

It's not the scientists who are saying we have only 5/10/15 years to save the planet.

It's the left wing politicians and their pals in the left wing media, like, Algore, Kerry, Biden, Greta, et al. and "journalists", who lie about what the scientists actually are saying. They leave out all the qualifiers like "if", "then", "could", with "nth degree of confidence"

Why do they do this?

It's become solely about politics and money! 

In order to get the 50 to 100, to 275 trillion dollars they say will fine tune the Earth's temperature within one or two degrees, in 50 or 100 years from now. (and refusing to acknowledge any benefits from a slightly warming world.) the only weapon they have is fear!

You mention the 60's, and that is a good example of where we have been and where we have come from.

The greatest efforts and successes in cleaning up pollution, air, water and, London fogs, and Sheffield yellow smogs were made back then, in the 50s and 60s and 70's, long before there was a Climate Crisis, or the plethora of "environmental" groups demanding money and gluing themselves to the motorways and the Mona Lisa. Who funds all these groups, and why?

Anybody who witnessed Sheffield in the 50's and the Sheffield of today, knows what I'm talking about! It was done incrementally and as it as always been, since London built its first major sewage system, as budgets would allow.

No fear mongering, no laughable amounts of money spent,  just following on human ingenuity and progress, since man first cleaned out his cave, and learned to build chimneys.

Project management, not Crisis management!

As always, with charlatans, follow the money!

• Like 4

And here are the unelected "elite" "experts" appointed to spend these laughable amounts of money.

Under oath!

In the first case an airbrain with "feelings", and in the second and third case a show of elitism and an example of the charlatans I was referring to, in my post above!