Climate Change thread

5 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Your have chosen three graphics which show:

Graph 1 - the seventh lowest ice coverage in history

Graph 2 - the continuing rise in global air temperature in the lower atmosphere at 0.05 °C per decade 

Graph 3-  the continuing reduction of sea ice at 3.5 percent per decade,

Source NSDIC Arctic sea ice news

It begs the question- why? 

• Why would you use Government data which clearly show two current effects of continuing  'global warming'?
  • Why do you ignore the commentary associated with each graph?
  • Why do you ignore the latest summary? 

If the best evidence you can select are two data sets(amongst many) that agree with the view that the planet is undergoing a rapid period of climate change, then your attempt of is flawed. A far more telling data set would concern sea temperature at different depths of the oceans and seas across the globe.

The view of the climatologist is that there is a slow but inexorable rise in sea temperature.

• This energy will at the very least push more frequent and extreme weather events.
  • Local effects will exaggerate the impact.
  • Sea temperature changes will impact air temperature and therefore wind and rainfall.
  • Sea temperature could impact on sea current flow and direction- that really would be a problem.  

As usual, couldn't get by your very first flawed premise. :)

Are you certain that the current ice coverage is "the seventh lowest ice coverage in history"?

Can't move on with any discussion that starts off with a Big Lie!

Edited by trastrick

5 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

It begs the question- why?

Why... Dr.Roy of course:

https://www.drroyspencer.com/

:)

Dr.Roy, proponent of intelligent design as at least as likely as evolution, has made some notable statements in the past:

https://skepticalscience.com/Roy_Spencer_quote.htm

Apparently, the earth's not warming but cooling, temperature data is unreliable because thermometers are in cities, and 10% of the current global warming "problem" is caused by joggers exhaling! :thumbsup:

Who knew! :hihi:

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, trastrick said:

As usual, couldn't get by your very first flawed premise. :)

Surprise! :hihi:

Are you certain that the current ice coverage is "the seventh lowest ice coverage in history"?

In the history of the satellite record, according to the NOAA this is an accurate statement. :loopy:

Can't move on with any discussion that starts off with a Big Lie!

...and of course, you're absolutely desperate to avoid doing so! :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, El Cid said:

COVID and climate change are comparable in that most people accept that they are negative things that requires action. But they don't like the Governments solution. That is partly because their solution is poor and partly because people don't want to change.

It's not popular to close pubs and retailers; it's not popular to make people get public transport or increase fuel tax.

I believe that the Cameron Government would have dealt with COVID much better.

I agree in prioritising public transport and taxing fuel, we are an obese nation, not just net-zero.

I would be more precise, the government's response to Covid and Climate Change is very similar, basically "we have to try and stop this regardless of cost". During the pandemic (right up to July 21 the govt rarely mentioned just how much damage their suppression policy was doing, just like climate change / "Nett Zero". They rarely mention just how much it's all going to cost. In fact they come out with ludicrous fantasy statements like "we'll all be better off if we embrace it and are at the cutting edge of green technology".

Absolute guff.

I repeat, people have absolutely no idea how much this will negatively affect their lives, none at all.  Take the recent 2 week cold snap, which was very depressing (day after day of cold,.....)* but there will be no more holidays over to the Canary Islands or the Southern Hemisphere to get away from it.

* One of my work colleagues is a fluky so and so, he went out to Lanzarote the day it got cold, and came back two weeks later just as it warmed up ! I want to do that, as do most people......

Edited by Chekhov

It was on the news Mohe China’s northernmost city, also known as China’s North Pole, recorded its lowest temperature since records began.  China doesn’t seem to be suffering from global warming at the moment and it produces more greenhouse gases than other countries 

Edited by hauxwell
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

It was on the news Mohe China’s northernmost city, also known as China’s North Pole, recorded its lowest temperature since records began.  China doesn’t seem to be suffering from global warming at the moment and it produces more greenhouse gases than other countries 

Oh I wouldn't say so. From July 2022.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-62271975.amp

14 hours ago, El Cid said:

The sea levels rising, because the ice on mountain tops and at the poles is melting.

But we are wasting our time discussing this, because no one accepts the others facts. My information comes from NASA!

What !

But, as I said before, we are missing the point anyway. We live in a democracy (supposedly), so if the population decide they'd rather spend Billions mitigating climate change rather than Trillions trying (possibly unsuccessfully) to prevent it, that is what we should be doing.

That is the most important thing.

Edited by Chekhov