Climate Change thread

9 minutes ago, trastrick said:

I would hope Greta is in school studying up on the very complicated economic consequences of social and economic justice" based "massive investment in people and planet to transform our economies.  :) 

And getting Putin, Xi and India on board will take some work!

After all, she is one of the leaders of the movement to save the planet. (Along with Al Gore, and that hot young ex-bartender in the U.S., that's pushing for the $100,000,000,000,000.00 Green New Deal) and may be on the Committee to oversee the giant wealth transfer required.  

I think you've missed a zero off? 

Edited by Baron99

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Nobody could argue with that.

But, the point is, how expensive is the insurance ?

How expensive is the value of the thing being insured?

In the case of Covid it was (is......) eye wateringly expensive, nett zero is that X10.

How do you know that's not an indication, like the value of your insurance, of the genuine level of risk?

If as you claim, it's all guesswork, you can't... or say that the potential knock on effect won't be far worse than predicted.

How exactly can mitigation work, without some effort on a global scale to address the root issue?

What mitigation measures do you suggest to prevent (potentially) a billion people heading north to Europe and the UK... aren't we supposed to be full?

And that's before either takes into account the draconian effect on people's freedoms, particularly Covid restrictions but also the Nett Zero target.

Make no mistake, people will not be able to do what they can now, not unless they are rich.....

Net zero goals and investment spur the innovation and technologies to reduce this impact... a new industrial & technological revolution (that in reality is already happening).

Is anyone really under any illusion that they will be able to carry on regardless. I don't think so.

Then there's the whole... what if it you are wrong...

...are you completely sure you're not failing to comprehend the sheer scope of the ramifications?

On 29/01/2023 at 12:13, trastrick said:

As usual, couldn't get by your very first flawed premise.

Are you certain that the current ice coverage is "the seventh lowest ice coverage in history"?

Can't move on with any discussion that starts off with a Big Lie!

Foot shooting season begins.
    Not my "...flawed premise..." it is that of  NSIDC(National Snow and Ice Data Center).

Am I sure? Yes, as like you, we are looking at the NSIDC graph and I am quoting the NSIDC summary unlike your invention to fit a belief.

As for accusing me of starting a "... Big Lie!", all I will say is you should be more careful.

* Full Summary:  

"December lows, January 5, 2023

Daily extent of Arctic sea ice for December 2022 remained well below average for the entire month; at the end of the month, extent stood at fourth lowest in the satellite record. The average extent for the month ended up as seventh lowest in the satellite record. Antarctic extent is declining much faster than average as austral summer takes hold and is setting record low daily ice extents for the satellite era as of December 22. As such, global sea ice extent is well below average."

Professor Corinne Le Quéré, climate scientist on Desert Island Discs BBC Radio 4

Before condemning this Canadian scientist, her viewpoint might appeal to many. Briefly she is a proper scientist(physicist) and polymath who opposes aggressive protesting and has positive views on what is being done and solutions. Warning-the music choices are not that good.

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

The Brexit party did not have a policy on net-zero, but similar to the Tories in other ways; yet did very poorly. So net-zero was either supported by Tory voters  or a minor issue.

So you are saying no party had an anti Nett Zero policy. That's more or less what I said.

It is a "fait accompli", the "great and good" have decided what is good for the people and that is what they will get. Much like Covid suppression, and the death penalty come to that, and I speak as someone who is against the latter. 

The difference is the "Nett Zero" policy will not start affecting people really badly till it is too late to go back on it. It is disgusting and I can only repeat, people have absolutely no idea what this will mean for them, they really haven't.

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

How expensive is the value of the thing being insured?

The effect of climate change on the UK is unlikely to be as great as the cost of going nett zero, and certainly not multiple times more which is what most people take out insurance for. As an example, if car insurance was not compulsory, only the most chronically risk averse person would pay £1000 a year to insure  a car worth even £5000.

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

So you are saying no party had an anti Nett Zero policy. That's more or less what I said.

It is a "fait accompli", the "great and good" have decided what is good for the people and that is what they will get. 

None of the parties had manifesto pledges to legalise rape and burglary, either.

13 hours ago, Magilla said:

How exactly can mitigation work, without some effort on a global scale to address the root issue?

What mitigation measures do you suggest to prevent (potentially) a billion people heading north to Europe and the UK... aren't we supposed to be full?

I would have thought most of the cost of climate change mitigation in this country would be flood prevention.

>>a billion people heading north to Europe and the UK<<

I dispute that a Billion people would try to come over to Europe, certainly the parts that are already pretty full. 

You are also forgetting that global warming will open up large areas of the world to habitation (e.g. Siberia, or even Greenland), that are presently not habitable.

Edited by Chekhov

10 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Quite apart from anything else there is the great unknown as to the effect of the increase in the efficiency of photosynthesis with an increased level of CO2. Photosynthesis : 

It might be a great unknown to you. Anyone who knows more than a smattering of plant biology  will be able to tell you about the effect of increasing CO2 on photosynthesis. And the limits to those effects.

Maybe have a read before displaying your own lack of knowledge.

Edited by Prettytom