Climate Change thread

5 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Agree with this, and just highlighted the really important bit. We can all do what we can, and small things will add up, so don't think it doesn't matter. But it annoys me that governments seem to be getting it wrong. They are the only ones who can effectively tackle the big things and especially the big companies, the biggest polluters of the lot. 

That's true Anna and, as you say, really annoying to those who care and are doing their best, but in vain it seems.

The government are determined not to upset their rich friends and so, will not take real steps regarding climate change, knowing they will will not be in office when the balloon goes up.

I believe that every government has decided that they don't want the unpopularity,  so they will pass the parcel and leave the next lot to deal with it.

There were shocking reports on starving children in the YEMEN last night on BBC and they don't need either Climate Change or wars to make their situation even worse.

I can't believe the lack of humanity and care  in fellow people with whom we share this planet.

28 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Life will go on but not as it always has   -   just ask those poor people in Rhodes and similar places.

Some worry and some don't give tuppence as always so, if you're a bit laid back that's fine and no law says you've got to worry.

If the world's populations are too laid back though,  nature will give them a rude awakening.  Again, ask them in Rhodes.

Life's brilliant on this beautiful planet so we should definitely enjoy it,  and care for it.

Just saw part of a programme on TV last night about the 1987 storms and I remember the 1962 ones. Weather patterns have always changed.

Every year we hear about massive fires, whatever the cause of them.

Pollution from the works was the big problem in Sheffield in the late 1800s and early to mid 1900s.

We can change local situations but we can not change worldwide situations if other countries do not.

We do not hear anything about the ozone layer nowadays but when we did I thought my father and thousands of others spent long periods in the Middle East desert in the war without using sun cream and did not get skin cancer whereas in recent times we hear of a rise in sun cancer caused by exposure to the sun. That made me think there must have been changes allowing damaging rays through.

The one lever we have is to stop buying cheap goods from polluting countries but this will never happen.

Individuals like us can be concerned but our voices will change nothing.

6 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Just saw part of a programme on TV last night about the 1987 storms and I remember the 1962 ones. Weather patterns have always changed.

Every year we hear about massive fires, whatever the cause of them.

Pollution from the works was the big problem in Sheffield in the late 1800s and early to mid 1900s.

We can change local situations but we can not change worldwide situations if other countries do not.

We do not hear anything about the ozone layer nowadays but when we did I thought my father and thousands of others spent long periods in the Middle East desert in the war without using sun cream and did not get skin cancer whereas in recent times we hear of a rise in sun cancer caused by exposure to the sun. That made me think there must have been changes allowing damaging rays through.

The one lever we have is to stop buying cheap goods from polluting countries but this will never happen.

Individuals like us can be concerned but our voices will change nothing.

If you choose to believe it's all down to natures  normal influences,  that's absolutely fine.

Everyone is entitled to their own views but,  if you have children, then you are betting their future on whether you are right.  Again it's your choice.

Having lived through the same times as you,  I have seen some weird and unusual weather but nothing at all which matches the scale and frequency as we have had since year 2000.

I don't believe in not bothering to try if I think I can't win.

5 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

If you choose to believe it's all down to natures  normal influences,  that's absolutely fine.

Everyone is entitled to their own views but,  if you have children, then you are betting their future on whether you are right.  Again it's your choice.

Having lived through the same times as you,  I have seen some weird and unusual weather but nothing at all which matches the scale and frequency as we have had since year 2000.

I don't believe in not bothering to try if I think I can't win.

I fully respect your viewpoint but as I have got older I have decided not to worry about things that I can not change.

Leave it to those elected and employed individuals with the influence to do something about changing situations. The problem arises when there is not much faith in these people and organisations.

There is a saying I have heard which goes something like, "Lord give me the strength to change what I can change and accept what I can not change "

11 hours ago, harvey19 said:

I fully respect your viewpoint but as I have got older I have decided not to worry about things that I can not change.

Leave it to those elected and employed individuals with the influence to do something about changing situations. The problem arises when there is not much faith in these people and organisations.

There is a saying I have heard which goes something like, "Lord give me the strength to change what I can change and accept what I can not change "

A very good attitude,

but isn't it sad that we have such lacklustre politicians who do so little to inspire confidence.

I'm also sick of the media catastrophizing everything, but now we have 24 hour news I suppose they have to fill it with something, and hyperbole gets ratings. 

Edited by Anna B

5 minutes ago, Anna B said:

A very good attitude,

bit isn't it sad that we have such lacklustre politicians who do so little to inspire confidence.

I'm also sick of the media catastrophizing everything, but now we have 24 hour news I suppose they have to fill it with something, and hyperbole gets ratings. 

Agree with that Anna.

I'm also sick of it

They've changed the narrative from "Global Warming" to "Global Boiling"

And what got me was the rain we had at the weekend, on the news 2 music festivals were wiped out in the North East, as was the tramlines in Sheffield.

So the news headline was "unprecedented rain affects festivals"

Come on. "Unprecedented" it was heavy rain which is not unusual at this time of the year...

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Padders said:

Agree with that Anna.

I'm also sick of it

They've changed the narrative from "Global Warming" to "Global Boiling"

And what got me was the rain we had at the weekend, on the news 2 music festivals were wiped out in the North East, as was the tramlines in Sheffield.

So the news headline was "unprecedented rain affects festivals"

Come on. "Unprecedented" it was heavy rain which is not unusual at this time of the year...

It could well be that the Media, in their attempts to get the Climate Change message over, are over-egging it for greater effect and annoying people,  thus  achieving the opposite of what they intended.

It is an important message but it needs truthful reporting with no exaggeration and it needs a stop putting to showing the same clips over and over again which people find annoying.

This actually doesn't apply just to  Climate Change reports, but to every major story that crops up and they milk it for all it's worth as they did with the Ukraine War tragedy.

They are important but how many times do we need telling.   I'm also sick of celeb stories that go on and on plus sporting and royal events   -   we just don't need to see each story 10 times.

Edited by Organgrinder

8 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

It could well be that the Media, in their attempts to get the Climate Change message over, are over-egging it for greater effect and annoying people,  thus  achieving the opposite of what they intended.

It is an important message but it needs truthful reporting with no exaggeration and it needs a stop putting to showing the same clips over and over again which people find annoying.

This actually doesn't apply just to  Climate Change reports, but to every major story that crops up and they milk it for all it's worth as they did with the Ukraine War tragedy.

They are important but how many times do we need telling.   I'm also sick of celeb stories that go on and on plus sporting and royal events   -   we just don't need to see each story 10 times.

That's what the msm do. They push 'The current thing' until the next 'current thing' rocks up.

That's why on the whole they are so untrustworthy.  I believe its the day they say but that's about all I believe. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Totally agree 

On 26/07/2023 at 21:58, RollingJ said:

The scientists referenced in  post #1803. According to them, the world was going to end before 2000, and yet we are still here, nearly a quarter of a century later.

Give us a link for that claim please