Climate Change thread

4 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

It could well be that the Media, in their attempts to get the Climate Change message over, are over-egging it for greater effect and annoying people,  thus  achieving the opposite of what they intended.

It is an important message but it needs truthful reporting with no exaggeration and it needs a stop putting to showing the same clips over and over again which people find annoying.

This actually doesn't apply just to  Climate Change reports, but to every major story that crops up and they milk it for all it's worth as they did with the Ukraine War tragedy.

They are important but how many times do we need telling.   I'm also sick of celeb stories that go on and on plus sporting and royal events   -   we just don't need to see each story 10 times.

You mean just like the stop oil protectors?

4 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

You mean just like the stop oil protectors?

Why ask me ?

I support their aims but am not a member and I'm not their spokesperson.

If you have anything to say to them then say it to them.

8 hours ago, Prettytom said:

Give us a link for that claim please

I would like to see that too.

I have heard that repeated by rolling, though by no one else.

As far as I know,  he could have just made it up himself. 

If that is correct, I will acknowledge it so.

28 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Why ask me ?

I support their aims but am not a member and I'm not their spokesperson.

If you have anything to say to them then say it to them.

I would like to see that too.

I have heard that repeated by rolling, though by no one else.

As far as I know,  he could have just made it up himself. 

If that is correct, I will acknowledge it so.

Because I am addressing the poster that made claims about others over egging situations and therefore annoying people.

Rather like the stop oil folk.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Because I am addressing the poster that made claims about others over egging situations and therefore annoying people.

Rather like the stop oil folk.

I know full well that TV News Channels such as BBC & Sky ( the ones I watch ) often go over the top with reporting in general and not just over Climate Change.

That is a "claim" that many posters on here have made and not just myself,   so why not try asking them too ?

If you have a query for the "Just stop Oil Group"  then address it to the group,   if you can find time during your busy,   oil using, flying schedules .

Had I been a member of the group, then I would have happily spoken for them but I'm not,  so you will have to find another source with inside knowledge .

I find it surprising that one of the frequent flyers, who help to create the climate change problems,  should have a bone to pick with a group which was formed specifically,  because of people like him.

Edited by Organgrinder

4 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I know full well that TV News Channels such as BBC & Sky ( the ones I watch ) often go over the top with reporting in general and not just over Climate Change.

That is a "claim" that many posters on here have made and not just myself,   so why not try asking them too ?

If you have a query for the "Just stop Oil Group"  then address it to the group,   if you can find time during your busy,   oil using, flying schedules .

Had I been a member of the group, then I would have happily spoken for them but I'm not,  so you will have to find another source with inside knowledge .

I find it surprising that one of the frequent flyers, who help to create the climate change problems,  should have a bone to pick with a group which was formed specifically,  because of people like him.

Once the most outspoken hypocrites that harp on about climate change stop their jet setting around the world, then I will start taking an interest.

13 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Once the most outspoken hypocrites that harp on about climate change stop their jet setting around the world, then I will start taking an interest.

That's a typical cop out.   More or less what I would expect from you.

That's like saying   "I'm not going to stop speeding because some others keep speeding"   Civilisation's rules don't work like that.

You either care about the planet or you don't,  and you obviously don't.   You could at least man up and own your beliefs instead of pretending.

I don't go flying simply under the excuse that you do.     I despise those hypocrites as much as you do but they don't excuse you.

As I said,  you are the reason that  "Just Stop Oil"  exists  and then you have the gall to rant about them.

Edited by Organgrinder

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

That's a typical cop out.   More or less what I would expect from you.

That's like saying   "I'm not going to stop speeding because some others keep speeding"   Civilisation's rules don't work like that.

You either care about the planet or you don't,  and you obviously don't.   You could at least man up and own your beliefs instead of pretending.

I don't go flying simply under the excuse that you do.     I despise those hypocrites as much as you do but they don't excuse you.

As I said,  you are the reason that  "Just Stop Oil"  exists  and then you have the gall to rant about them.

Only one person ranting, I myself are just discussing and asking questions.

I just presume that those that like to shout about the climate know a lot more than I do on the subject, so if they still feel it's ok to fly around, then it can't be that serious can it?

28 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Only one person ranting, I myself are just discussing and asking questions.

I just presume that those that like to shout about the climate know a lot more than I do on the subject, so if they still feel it's ok to fly around, then it can't be that serious can it?

You shouldn't presume what other people know as they could well turn out to know less than you.

We are each responsible for what we do and you are shifting that responsibility onto someone else.

When you do your food shop,  it doesn't make it right to steal it because some shoplifters do.

Frequent flyer cop out.

10 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

You shouldn't presume what other people know as they could well turn out to know less than you.

We are each responsible for what we do and you are shifting that responsibility onto someone else.

When you do your food shop,  it doesn't make it right to steal it because some shoplifters do.

Frequent flyer cop out.

Exactly.

👍

Just a quick question for all those Nett Zero Zealots, who also tend to be those who are pro tenant and anti landlord.

As and when landlords are forced to spend money, in some cases large amounts of money, upgrading their properties to meet the new "energy efficiency targets", am I right you agree the landlords should be able to put up the rents to cover that expenditure ?

And if not why not ?

On 27/07/2023 at 11:01, harvey19 said:

I fully respect your viewpoint but as I have got older I have decided not to worry about things that I can not change.

Leave it to those elected and employed individuals with the influence to do something about changing situations. The problem arises when there is not much faith in these people and organisations.

There is a saying I have heard which goes something like, "Lord give me the strength to change what I can change and accept what I can not change "

It is potentially very serious if everyone just accepts they cannot change anything. Even worse if they conclude they will stop  worrying about it and/or publicising their discontent.  That means stuff really will keep getting worse.....

Edited by Chekhov
  • Like 1