Climate Change thread

12 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Just a quick question for all those Nett Zero Zealots, who also tend to be those who are pro tenant and anti landlord.

As and when landlords are forced to spend money, in some cases large amounts of money, upgrading their properties to meet the new "energy efficiency targets", am I right you agree the landlords should be able to put up the rents to cover that expenditure ?

And if not why not ?

It is potentially very serious if everyone just accepts they cannot change anything. Even worse if they conclude they will stop  worrying about it and/or publicising their discontent.  That means stuff really will keep getting worse.....

How can an ordinary individual change things effectively ?

Moaning changes nothing.

Virtue signalling may give you a feeling of "I am doing the right thing " but will change nothing.

Do you think foreign countries creating the most pollution take any notice of the protests in this country ?

Stop buying cheap goods from countries that make most pollution, but this will not happen as self interest intervenes.

Edited by harvey19

1 minute ago, harvey19 said:

How can an ordinary individual change things effectively ?

Moaning changes nothing.

Virtue signalling may give you a feeling of "I am doing the right thing " but will change nothing.

Stop buying cheap goods from countries that make most pollution, but this will not happen as self interest intervenes.

"Moaning" is a very negative way of putting it.

Feedback is more positive, or even just reminding as many people as poss that there is stuff they should be dissatisfied about. It may even influence how they vote.

>>How can an ordinary individual change things effectively ?<<

Ultimately at the ballot box, but first you have to remind / inform people what is wrong in the first place.

4 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Feedback is more positive, or even just reminding as many people as poss that there is stuff they should be dissatisfied about. It may even influence how they vote.

Ultimately at the ballot box, but first you have to remind / inform people what is wrong in the first place.

Those in charge including politicians already know and are the ones who can do something about it.

I wonder how many people would change their voting habits just because of this topic ?

How many people have stopped buying cheap foreign made goods because of this ?

The reality is people will be concerned but self interest comes first.

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

Only one person ranting, I myself are just discussing and asking questions.

I just presume that those that like to shout about the climate know a lot more than I do on the subject, so if they still feel it's ok to fly around, then it can't be that serious can it?

Such as when the likes of Obama were scaremongering about the rising seas whilst buying coastal properties...

Apparently it was as hot as this around 150,000 years ago - so isn't it just that a planet's temperature fluctuates anyway?

A point I heard someone else make was, if the UK was to suddenly disappear, it would have practically no effect on the climate due to how tiny we are in the greater scheme of things.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Those in charge including politicians already know and are the ones who can do something about it.

I wonder how many people would change their voting habits just because of this topic ?

How many people have stopped buying cheap foreign made goods because of this ?

The reality is people will be concerned but self interest comes first.

Yes, I think that's very true Harvey and with reference to your point about buying foreign goods,  much of the time we have little choice,  because hardly anything is made in this country now.

12 minutes ago, leviathan13 said:

Such as when the likes of Obama were scaremongering about the rising seas whilst buying coastal properties...

Apparently it was as hot as this around 150,000 years ago - so isn't it just that a planet's temperature fluctuates anyway?

A point I heard someone else make was, if the UK was to suddenly disappear, it would have practically no effect on the climate due to how tiny we are in the greater scheme of things.

Yes it does, but the scientists are clear that some of our problems are from Earth's natural ways  but most are caused by our burning of fossil fuels.

The bottom line is just a repetition of Bundy's argument that if other people are at fault, then we can refuse to accept our responsibilities.

Britain was the country which started man made pollution and we have been doing it far longer than modern day polluters such as India & China.

If things had stayed the way they were, we would have managed to pollute the planet all on our own.

34 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Tell us how you change things at the ballot box if  both parties have the same agenda,  which they do ?

33 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Tell us how you change things at the ballot box if  both parties have the same agenda,  which they do ?

There lies the problem !

Just  seen the Reform Party manifesto, live up to their name in ideas.

Edited by harvey19
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Nice to see you being honest that democracy is not working well in the UK.

If parties seriously thought changing their policy would get them votes (like at Uxbridge) they'd change their policies.

18 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Nice to see you being honest that democracy is not working well in the UK.

If parties seriously thought changing their policy would get them votes (like at Uxbridge) they'd change their policies.

Democracy is not working well in the UK because we don't have a real democracy.  We need proportional representation to ensure democracy.

Your bottom line is just conjecture and what you hope will happen.  Unfortunately it won't. because the world must change.

Some rich economies  like China intend to wait longer and then throw massive amounts of money at it.    We don't have massive amounts of money so we're doing it on the slow and cheap.

8 hours ago, harvey19 said:

There lies the problem !

Just  seen the Reform Party manifesto, live up to their name in ideas.

If they stopped banging on about immigration and how wonderful Brexit was I'd seriously consider voting for them.

And I am someone who'd never even voted Tory before 2021, but the way the modern woke, over sensitive, virtue signalling, authoritarian world is going, plus the ludicrous draconian reaction to Covid, obviously (censored), I'd vote for anyone who said "this is cobblers"....

Edited by Chekhov