Climate Change thread

4 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Did anyone blame it on Climate Change I wonder.

We didn't realise that we were altering the climate then,   but Sheffield did recognise the filthy air we breathed and acted accordingly without mass public resistance.

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

We didn't realise that we were altering the climate then,   but Sheffield did recognise the filthy air we breathed and acted accordingly without mass public resistance.

I recall the smog when going to school with a scarf wrapped around your mouth and black specs sometimes found on washing hung out on the line. I think one of the reasons for lack of resistance was that it was easier to turn on a gas or electric fire than taking out the ashes and lighting a fire on a freezing cold morning.

23 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I recall the smog when going to school with a scarf wrapped around your mouth and black specs sometimes found on washing hung out on the line. I think one of the reasons for lack of resistance was that it was easier to turn on a gas or electric fire than taking out the ashes and lighting a fire on a freezing cold morning.

Yes, quite true harvey   -   We couldn't see the length of a bus in those days but still enjoyed playing out in it.  Still remember that taste in the mouth when you came in.

It was an improvement when we no longer had to light the fire in the winter but we still miss sitting around a coal fire and making toast on it. Mother in law still had open fire  until 1990 - lovely.

12 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Yes, quite true harvey   -   We couldn't see the length of a bus in those days but still enjoyed playing out in it.  Still remember that taste in the mouth when you came in.

It was an improvement when we no longer had to light the fire in the winter but we still miss sitting around a coal fire and making toast on it. Mother in law still had open fire  until 1990 - lovely.

I dont think many would have lit the fire in August/September; like some have already had their central heating on.

15 hours ago, Anna B said:

I'm not ignoring the interests of industry, banking and capitalism at all, it's part of the argument. My argument is that they have been left largely untouched in the scheme of things by government interference, even though they are far and away the biggest polluters.

Instead the government via the councils continue to persecute the little man in the street and the car drivers, who make an easy target because they  don't have the power to fight back. Even the power of the ballot box has been taken away from them.  

If climate change is man made, imminent and as serious as is claimed, then surely we all have to contribute to  solving it. The fact that  Industry et al is being let off with nothing more than weak 'voluntary agreements' etc is a cop out, and leads me and the persecuted man in the street to believe we  are being conned into being the sacrificial lambs and cash cows.

The ones that would make the rules for you and I, Anna, also make the rules to exempt themselves.

The likes of Al Gore and Climate Czar John "Heinz" Kerry, can rationalize their personal multi mansions, yachts and jet planes by simply buying carbon credits from those of us who don't use them!  :)

And their enablers,  fellow travelers, and the gullible brainwashed trained clapping seals give them a pass!

So do your bit, put a brick in your toilet tank, don't take showers, pull out the old tin bath and share a Saturday night special, maybe get rid of your gas stove, and bicycle to work!

And thank Algore and Heinz-Kerry for raising your awareness.

You too can be a working class hero! :)

7 minutes ago, trastrick said:

The ones that would make the rules for you and I, Anna, also make the rules to exempt themselves.

The likes of Al Gore and Climate Czar John "Heinz" Kerry, can rationalize their personal multi mansions, yachts and jet planes by simply buying carbon credits from those of us who don't use them!  :)

And their enablers,  fellow travelers, and the gullible brainwashed trained clapping seals give them a pass!

So do your bit, put a brick in your toilet tank, don't take showers, pull out the old tin bath and share a Saturday night special, maybe get rid of your gas stove, and bicycle to work!

And thank Algore and Heinz-Kerry for raising your awareness.

You too can be a working class hero! :)

All I'm out for is a Good time   al't rest is propaganda.

16 hours ago, El Cid said:

Prof Brian Cox claims that the effefts of the Big Bang can be seen today, that is 'proof'.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?extid=CL-UNK-UNK-UNK-AN_GK0T-GK1C&mibextid=2Rb1fB&v=10154159033357330

Some folks claim they have seen God, and they are so smug and dismissive of all other views,

Likewise this popular talking head claims to SEE the big bang, rather than some TV static that is interpreted as the remnant of a big bang!  That Jehovah's Witnesses smarmy smirk is a dead giveaway to me. :)

Real scientists are a trifle more humble!

But far less in demand by, what in the UK, they call "presenters".

The big bang is a theory, like god.

Nobody has seen either! And in my opinion, never will.

Believe what you will!