Climate Change thread

3 hours ago, trastrick said:

Who is this person, I'm supposed to be relying on? 

Do tell!

For the third time Eric Lerner misquoted Dr Allison Kirkpatrick on what was being learnt on the origin of galaxies from observation made by the JWST. The American right wing media and some creationists picked it up as  proof that the 'Big Bang' did not happen. A year later you come along and  regurgitated it on here. 

4 hours ago, trastrick said:

It's not your job, my job or the Media's job to 
absolve" or "involve" a person for alleged crimes.

That's the job of a duly constituted Court of Law.

That much is true but we can have our opinions before ,during and after any official legal process.

I still have my opinions on OJ Simpson.

My comments stand on your apparent belief that Trumps current travails are totally down to a leftist campaign orchestrated by the Clintons.

No more than some of   Clinton’s shortcomings were down to the opposition.

On 01/09/2023 at 00:03, Prettytom said:

You know that those scientists simply need to publish their research and put it up for peer review. Then they will be heard.

If their research stands up to scrutiny, then they will become the agenda.

That’s how science works. A properly democratic method of probing for the truth.

Scientists, know what they're talking about and we should defer to their "knowledge" ?

Err no.

Mid March 2020 : "We could have half a million Covid deaths in the UK"
19 March 2020 : "12 weeks to flatten the curve".
Late March 2020 : "This virus is indiscriminate"
May 2020 : "Politicians have become more cautious about immunisation prospects. They are right to be"
November 2020 : "Modelling suggests 4,000 deaths per day in the worst case scenario".
Spring 2021 : "Get double vaccinated to get out of Covid and back to normal" (it actually took a further year).
May 2021 :  Pupils should keep wearing masks into the summer, Sage told ministers
July 2021 : "Freedom day is irresponsible, we could have 200K cases per day by August".
11 Dec 2021 : "Omicron could cause 75,000 deaths in England by end of April"
Dec 2021 : "Central estimate" 2890 Omicron deaths a day
15 Dec 2021 : "Omicron likely to be the biggest threat of Covid pandemic so far".

I can supply the original sources for pretty much all of this if required..... (censored)

10 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Scientists, know what they're talking about and we should defer to their "knowledge" ?

Err no.

The problem with you, and with many

others who decry expertise, is that you don’t understand it. As you’ve never studied anything in any real depth, you can’t appreciate the levels that these people have reached.

You are struggling with the notion that intervening on expert advice, changes outcomes. That’s quite a simple idea. You should cogitate on that for a while.

Once you’ve done that, have a look at the amount of study that has been done by those that you and your fellow “alternative thinkers” demean. 

Edited by Prettytom

4 hours ago, Prettytom said:

The problem with you, and with many

others who decry expertise, is that you don’t understand it. As you’ve never studied anything in any real depth, you can’t appreciate the levels that these people have reached.

You are struggling with the notion that intervening on expert advice, changes outcomes. That’s quite a simple idea. You should cogitate on that for a while.
Once you’ve done that, have a look at the amount of study that has been done by those that you and your fellow “alternative thinkers” demean. 

I know "experts aren't always right, especially when it comes to "modelling", which is just educated guesswork.

The fact remains that tossing a  coin was as accurate as the predictions the "experts" were making during Covid. (censored)

>>expert advice, changes outcomes<<

I am deeply sceptical if all the Covid suppression measures saved any lives at all (nett of the additional ones they caused), though the measures may well have meant different people died..... (censored)

7 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

For the third time Eric Lerner misquoted Dr Allison Kirkpatrick on what was being learnt on the origin of galaxies from observation made by the JWST. The American right wing media and some creationists picked it up as  proof that the 'Big Bang' did not happen. A year later you come along and  regurgitated it on here. 

I don't know who these people are, so I'll give you the point!

It was just one of  example of the many voices being raised about the big bang theory.

The miracle of suddenly everything appearing from nothing!

Less believable than the guy who fed multitudes on the Sea of Galilee with 12 fishes.

Or the virgin birth, which is actually starting to sound more possible, given today's idea that men can become pregnant!  :)

But on topic:

The Crisis in Cosmology - PBS

https://youtu.be/72cM_E6bsOs?t=636

How We fix the  the Crisis in Cosmology

https://youtu.be/OLL_8ArJIis?t=458

New Evidence Against the Standard Model of Cosmology

https://youtu.be/JETGS64kTys?t=562

13 minutes ago, trastrick said:

I don't know who these people are, so I'll give you the point!

It was just one of  example of the many voices being raised about the big bang theory.

The miracle of suddenly everything appearing from nothing!

Less believable than the guy who fed multitudes on the Sea of Galilee with 12 fishes.

Or the virgin birth, which is actually starting to sound more possible, given today's idea that men can become pregnant!  :)

But on topic:

The Crisis in Cosmology - PBS

https://youtu.be/72cM_E6bsOs?t=636

How We fix the  the Crisis in Cosmology

https://youtu.be/OLL_8ArJIis?t=458

New Evidence Against the Standard Model of Cosmology

https://youtu.be/JETGS64kTys?t=562

Well they performed the first womb transplant the other day 

And immediately trans women said that it's great news for them 

Surely a trans women doesn't have that DNA or hormones etc to have a baby grow inside them 

Maybe @Irene Swainecan answer that for me

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...