Climate Change thread

9 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Here's an interesting one, which shows how all this nett zero cobblers is just that, cobblers.

I was talking to an EPC inspector who said that houses would score low on an inspection if they did not have gas heating.

Yet the government want to ban us from having gas heating !

As I said, it's all cobblers.....

And the 'inspectors' don't even know what they are on about - a friend of mine was advised to get cavity wall insulation - when they already had it - and the proof was staring him in the face, as there was a nice newish line of bungs in the wall.

• Haha 1

On 20/01/2024 at 20:23, altus said:

I asked you to do so we could see how many of them started with "If we do nothing...". I assume from the fact that you haven't supplied the original sources that they pretty much all do. i.e. you're selectively quoting to remove the context and change the meaning.

I have answered this on the Covid thread.

Edited by Chekhov

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I answered that.

It is an absolute strawman argument because nobody ever said we should do nothing.

But, in fact, it is even more unrealistic because even had the government decided to do nothing at all, many people, certainly the most vulnerable, would have done it off their own bat. We all know that is true, but my story of our trip to see two aged aunts on the w/e before they locked us all down proves it.

I note you still haven't provided links to the original sources as you said you could. I'll continue to maintain that you are quoting out of context to give a misleading impression until you prove otherwise. You've been shown to do it plenty of times before so there's no doubt for you to benefit from any more.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, altus said:

I note you still haven't provided links to the original sources as you said you could. I'll continue to maintain that you are quoting out of context to give a misleading impression until you prove otherwise. You've been shown to do it plenty of times before so there's no doubt for you to benefit from any more.

Why have you put this on here when I answered it on the Covid thread (and you are one of those criticising me for bringing up Covid on non Covid threads ! ), and I have answered this on the Covid thread here.

6 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Why have you put this on here when I answered it on the Covid thread

Simply because it was the first of the two threads that I looked at.

(and you are one of those criticising me for bringing up Covid on non Covid threads ! )

You introduced covid to this thread. People aren't going to give you free license to post your covid nonsense unchallenged on any thread.

and I have answered this on the Covid thread here.

Let's keep it in that thread then.

On 19/01/2024 at 11:52, Delayed said:

>> Chekhov said

Not hot enough for me the moment. Or in fact since about September.

I find this cold (and dark) so effin' depressing, I NEED to be in Tenerife for my mental health, and I am not kidding.

Now, I seem to remember @Prettytom stating he had a lot of sympathy for people with poor mental health, so how does he square that with wanting to stop me flying out to Tenerife every January (which we cannot actually justify at the moment because our lad is still at school, but once he leaves, off we will go) ?<<

This may come as a surprise to you but no one gives a crap about what you do. 

You never read the posts you reply to do you |?

@Prettytom said he had mush sympathy for people with mental health problems.

Or is that only sympathy for people like himself (who may or may not have mental health problems) ?

2 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

You never read the posts you reply to do you |?

@Prettytom said he had mush sympathy for people with mental health problems.

Or is that only sympathy for people like himself (who may or may not have mental health problems) ?

Flying to Tenerife has nothing whatsoever to do with mental health.

Maybe you would like it on prescription too ?

21 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Flying to Tenerife has nothing whatsoever to do with mental health.

Maybe you would like it on prescription too ?

Yes it does.

I, along with millions of others, get depressed in the cold wet and dark.

I am pretty sure there is a medical term for it but I cannot be arsed to look it up.

Why don't you just be honest, you have no desire to fly off to Tenerife in the winter so you do not see why anybody else should (i.e. basic selfishness).

23 hours ago, altus said:

You introduced covid to this thread. People aren't going to give you free license to post your covid nonsense

It isn't nonsense, and I prove it on the Covid thread, here 

Edited by Chekhov

32 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Yes it does.

I, along with millions of others, get depressed in the cold wet and dark.

I am pretty sure there is a medical term for it but I cannot be arsed to look it up.

Why don't you just be honest, you have no desire to fly off to Tenerife in the winter so you do not see why anybody else should (i.e. basic selfishness).

Oh dear,  you poor soul.  I do hope it soon warms up for you.  Do you think someone as delicate as you should be living in the UK ?

There's a medical term for it alright,  but I'll not put it on here.    I am always honest.  I have no desire to fly,  or sail,  anywhere else at all,  and not just Tenerife and that includes both  summer and winter.

My body and my mind can cope perfectly well with our climate including the cold,  dark,  and wet.  I go out and walk in it every day and it doesn't make me depressed at all.

What anyone else does is not my business and it's a waste of time my disapproving anyway because it won't alter anything but I think,  it's those who are ruining the planet who are selfish.